Clean Sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
I took advantage of the 40* day to get up on the roof and check my two-month-old chimney. The chimney cap is already black and ragged looking so I was concerned at what I'd find. We've been burning 19-24/7 for the last month or more. Besides the cruddy cap, I found an ultra thin layer of very fine, black soot around the inside of the pipe. As I have been obsessing over my stove and its efficiency this has taken at least one concern off of my mind - for a while.

Sounds like you, the stove and the wood are all doing it just right. :cheese:

The cap, of course, is the coldest part of the whole system, and therefore the most likely place to see the first build-up of creosote. Totally typical. Sounds to me like you're in good shape, and paying attention. Good fer you! Rick

I did the same today, cap and chimney looks clean and I also took out the cat and brushed out a little fly ash. Now the stove is up and burning, waiting for that big artic blast to hit tonight.

Both of mine have a little more soot accumulation than would have impressed me but in a few weeks they both have a date with a brush. Building twice a day fires builds it up faster. No sote, just soot. Both of my wide open style caps would take a bowling ball sized piece of crud to clog them.

Status
Not open for further replies.