Clean Wood Burn Strategy - Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
I know this has been discussed many times, but I post only a simple part of the subject of a "clean burning" stragegy.

For starters I have an Insert burning at a nice temperature, say about 500 degrees on the face. Then I let it burn down, even go out. Is the burn at the end, when the temperature is low still clean, low creosote? I understand that at the end of a fire all that would be left is hot coals that have already had all the smokey material burned, thus the exhaust up the chimney is still (EPA) clean, and not loaded with creosote. Is this correct? If not, what is the clean way to shut down a fire? For more specifics on my case I have an insulated SS liner, about 32' long.

By the time the wood is in the coaling stage all of the creosote making nasties are gone. They are over on your neighbor's car.

I am no expert. I think as long as the chimney is very hot from a nice hot fire it will not collect creosote. The majority of creosote is from a chimney that is not hot and wood that is not dry.
Wet wood has moisture and a warm chimney will let it stick! Smoke is the by product of either wet wood or a fire that is not hot enough.

Thanks guys, that's about what I thought, but I couldn't have said/explained as well without your help/logic.

Happy Thanksgiving.

The PROPER way to end a fire's life during the coaling stage is to slap a 1.5" thick ribeye on them coals. Yummy.

Jags said:
The PROPER way to end a fire's life during the coaling stage is to slap a 1.5" thick ribeye on them coals. Yummy.

Just a side note, this can also be done with a Porterhouse, and still within the realm of correct fire usage.

karri0n said:
Jags said:

Just a side note, this can also be done with a Porterhouse, and still within the realm of correct fire usage.

Just make sure the steak is seasoned first!

Salt and Pepper both sides!!!!!!

Exactly... everything that goes into your stove should be seasoned... LOL!

-SF

SlyFerret said:
Exactly... everything that goes into your stove should be seasoned... LOL!

-SF

Well played! :coolsmile:

Bubbavh said:

Creds here, since no one is giving cred to the OP of the joke... :p

karri0n said:
Bubbavh said:

Creds here, since no one is giving cred to the OP of the joke... :p

Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.