Cleaned and ready for winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Wood is in the shed, flue cleaned, stove wiped down and glass cleaned. Ready for another season. I skipped flue cleaning last year because the year before we only had 3/4 cup of soot. This year after 2 seasons and 5.5 cords burned there were 2 cups of soot and sote. It was just a light bit of brown soot for about 80% of the flue. Most of the sote was accumulated at the top 20%. The firebrick is still hanging in there. There's a hairline cracked brick in back and one at front on the side, but overall still very serviceable. The glass has a very light haze which is almost not visible except when the door is open and looking from the backside. I am very pleased that the paint still looks good. This was a concern early on after having the two beautiful Jotuls in blue-black enamel, but it was unfounded. 11 yrs old and it still looks good.

Gonna get cold soon. Winter is coming. They're talking snow in the mountains this weekend.

T6-.jpg T6-inside.jpg

Must be in the air! Ive been hauling wood up to the house the last two days. Taking care of the outdoor chores before the rain sets in. Again.
Sounds like your setup is working nice and the stove will be with you for some time yet. Nice.

I have hauled three trailer loads to the city so far (all hemlock). Next week I will haul three more (one hemlock and two beech and hard maple). At that point I will replace the cat in the VC and replace the griddle gasket (I should replace the damper gasket but it is too much work). Then clean the pipes and it will be ready for the season, it is getting a bit cold in the mornings. As far as the BK all it needs is the door handle tightening and sweep, then it is good to go.

Weather service just posted this

71202114_2590974800962910_5337372196794793984_o.png

Saw this couple days ago

Attachments

• 8E1D8DD3-A7DD-4DC0-A1EC-DCE6279F3BB2.png
    8E1D8DD3-A7DD-4DC0-A1EC-DCE6279F3BB2.png
    379.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Friday night.
Summer is winding down.
Screenshot_2019-09-25-19-52-22~2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We are supposed to get 12-24" of snow and a high of 27F this weekend.

I too cleaned the chimney a few weekends ago....but the sad part is my stove is still disconnected and waiting for my chimney liner to ship. :mad:

Decisions....

Low of 39F expected in a few days. Probably will hold off burning for a little longer.

I'll need a couple of fires going this weekend to keep the ladies of the house warm and also to keep fermenting temperatures up in the shop.

12-24" of snow in MT! I'd better get the skis ready.

Both times we had to open a door because it got way too hot. I
This is why I love the heat pump. It covers shoulder season heating more efficiently and cleanly. We've had one fire recently just to burn up some scrap so that I could clean the stove and flue. It was maybe 1/4 of the firebox. The 1st floor temp went up about 4-5º to around 73º. I let the fire burn itself out and didn't refeed it. By late morning the fog had burned off and then the sun kept the house warm. Normally I don't start burning until it regularly gets below 45º. Sounds like by Monday we may be seeing these temps in some parts around here.

We are supposed to get 12-24" of snow and a high of 27F this weekend.

I too cleaned the chimney a few weekends ago....but the sad part is my stove is still disconnected and waiting for my chimney liner to ship. :mad:
Decisions....
Sounds like the front will be blowing in with some strong winds in your area too. Batten down the hatches.

wish i was in the drivers seat on all of this. wood is ready. stove arrives to me october 1st and im still trying to sort out relining my chimney. As someone with poultry to lock up every night and let out every morning. im pretty in tune with lengthening and shortening days! and theyre getting shorter in a hurry...and that crisp fall air is setting in whenever the sun isnt up!

I brushed the chimney yesterday and as usual I just got a little soot from it. It won’t be long and our morning lows will be in the 30’s and I’ll be firing up the stove again.

Wood is in the shed, flue cleaned, stove wiped down and glass cleaned. Ready for another season. I skipped flue cleaning last year because the year before we only had 3/4 cup of soot. This year after 2 seasons and 5.5 cords burned there were 2 cups of soot and sote. It was just a light bit of brown soot for about 80% of the flue. Most of the sote was accumulated at the top 20%. The firebrick is still hanging in there. There's a hairline cracked brick in back and one at front on the side, but overall still very serviceable. The glass has a very light haze which is almost not visible except when the door is open and looking from the backside. I am very pleased that the paint still looks good. This was a concern early on after having the two beautiful Jotuls in blue-black enamel, but it was unfounded. 11 yrs old and it still looks good.

Gonna get cold soon. Winter is coming. They're talking snow in the mountains this weekend.

View attachment 248108 View attachment 248109
It will be in the mid 80's when I get back this weekend. 91 on Wednesday next week, not thinking about winter yet. Both stoves and chimneys have been cleaned last July.

Sounds like the front will be blowing in with some strong winds in your area too. Batten down the hatches.
32-36 MPH gusts tomorrow. Plus its going to rain tonight before it turns to snow. All of our trees are still green so it will be a mess when they get loaded with ice and snow. Good thing I test fired my generator last weekend.

I already have two Aspens that blew over on Monday night and are laying on the power line in front of my house. Power company still has not showed up - hopefully they get there today.

I'd really like to light the stove off this evening, but I just cleaned everything in preparation for my liner install. So I suppose my options are:
1) hook connector pipe back up and resign myself to re-cleaning when my liner finally arrives.
2) run off the propane furnace - supposed to be back in the 50's next week.
3) relocate to somewhere closer to the Equator.

My house is finally a comfortable temperature! I still need to haul wood up, and give the stove a good cleaning.

I've done nothing yet..
Screenshot_2019-09-27 7-Day Forecast.png

Show offs, I might get to my wood in a month and clean my flue

Reactions: Woody Stover
32-36 MPH gusts tomorrow. Plus its going to rain tonight before it turns to snow. All of our trees are still green so it will be a mess when they get loaded with ice and snow. Good thing I test fired my generator last weekend.

I already have two Aspens that blew over on Monday night and are laying on the power line in front of my house. Power company still has not showed up - hopefully they get there today.

I'd really like to light the stove off this evening, but I just cleaned everything in preparation for my liner install. So I suppose my options are:
1) hook connector pipe back up and resign myself to re-cleaning when my liner finally arrives.
2) run off the propane furnace - supposed to be back in the 50's next week.
3) relocate to somewhere closer to the Equator.

curious...how do you post to this site when power is down, is it smart phone or ???

View attachment 248108 View attachment 248109
You, sir, sound ready for winter.

Reactions: begreen