Cleaned my flue for the first time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_dude

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Southern WI
I have been burning my Kozy Heat for about a month and a half now, and I picked up a brush last night. I decided since I had the time this morning, to give it a whirl. I was curious to see how long it would take me, how much build up I had, and how easy it would be. I was pleasantly surprised on all counts. It took me a total of 30 minutes or so. All I needed to do in the stove was to remove the firebrick above the secondary burn tubes, which was simple. Got up on the roof, removed the cap, and ran the brush down trough a couple of times. I got virtually no creosote in the firebox when complete. The visible areas of the pipe which are only the top couple feet and a foot up from the firebox were both clean and showing metal again.

It was so simple, it is definatley something I will do a couple times a year, snow permitting. I had always assumed this was a job left to professionals, but this site convinced me otherwise. I spent $32 on the brush and poles, which have already paid for themselves. Just wanted to give another big "thanks" to the great advice and knowledge I have received from frequenting this site!

Good information to know!

My home is a steep pitched A-frame almost three stories tall and I'm VERY hesitant to climb up on the roof. Is it possible to clean a chimney from the inside of the house with those same brushes and poles?

stockdoct said:
My home is a steep pitched A-frame almost three stories tall and I'm VERY hesitant to climb up on the roof.
Is it really A-frame with the roof coming all the way down to ground level or is a 12/12 pitch "Chalet" roof? An A-frame should be very straight forward if you have a long enough ladder since all you have to do is lean the ladder at the same angle as the roof. Even a 12/12 pitched roof like mine can be done that way if your ladder is long enough.

Here is a thread on the topic I posted at MTF of my chimney cleaning.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=66697

Unlike the OP, I waited 10 years to clean the chimney!

I clean mine from the cleanout door. It takes me more time to get the brush out and together than it does to actually clean the chimney.

Matt

Ya dude! You found out like a lot of folks have. It really isn't so difficult after all. Heck, I'd never even heard of a chimney sweep until I was over 30 years old!

Dude,
I thought you were getting a T6?

EatenByLimestone said:
I clean mine from the cleanout door. It takes me more time to get the brush out and together than it does to actually clean the chimney.

Matt

OK, help a newbie..... what's a "cleanout door"? I have a large masonry fireplace almost 100 years old, with no access from the outside of the house, a wood burning insert inside the fireplace, and a "ash-drop" door in my basement from where folks in the past dropped ashes from the original fireplace floor --- but obviously with an insert, that door no longer connects to the chimney.

Clean out doors are built into the base of masonry chimneys not connected to fireplaces. Ones used with stoves vented through a thimble into the chimney. The doors provide a place to remove the results of a chimney cleaning.

BrotherBart said:
The doors provide a place to remove the results of a chimney cleaning.
and Blackbirds.

Is it possible to add a clean-out to an existing masonry chimney when a liner is installed?

Thanks,
DP

I just checked our flue. Figured after 2 seasons I should have it cleaned. I found less than 1/16 of carbony soot. No glazing. The cap screen is clean. I think I'll wait until spring.

All was not for naught though. While up on the roof I spotted a whale jumping and splashing out in the sound. Went down and grabbed the binoculars. I'm not sure, but it appeared to be a solo Humpback. It surfaced about once every 15 minutes. Made my day.

BeGreen said:
I just checked our flue. Figured after 2 seasons I should have it cleaned. I found less than 1/16 of carbony soot. No glazing. The cap screen is clean. I think I'll wait until spring.

All was not for naught though. While up on the roof I spotted a whale jumping and splashing out in the sound. Went down and grabbed the binoculars. I'm not sure, but it appeared to be a solo Humpback. It surfaced about once every 15 minutes. Made my day.
:gulp: never worried about mine till I got on here! had my Lopi since 01' and have never checked it. install guy who put in my princess today said I had about 1/16" of carbony soot. not bad for seven years.

PS. good on you for spotting that whale. I used to see Orcas all the time in the south sound, but seeing a humpback is very rare. last time I was able to see humpbacks in the wild was last year at "Boiler Bay" on the northern OR coast. we stayed there for hours watching them as they headed south.

Status
Not open for further replies.