Cleaned the SCF-050 out this weekend and....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbulator

Dec 2, 2011
Western PA
What a difference!!! There was soot packed all back in the heat exchangers and in a baffle just above the ash pan in the back.... It burns very clean now.... Right now I am running on heat level 2, on thermostat - house is 77 and holding in pilot mode since the thermo is only set at 72!! Its 40deg outside.... This is great stuff...heat pump hasnt run yet since I have had the furnace in....Eat it Penn Power!

I recently installed one of these. It's a beast with the heat. After the season is over, I'm going to have to learn how to get inside this thing and give it a thorough cleaning like you just did.

I had some trouble at first - burned real rich....even w/ outside air kit and draft open 100%... I recently set draft trim to +5V and it made a huge difference.....then after the clean out it is a completely different machine! I am anxious to see how it does when it gets real cold out.

How many sq ft are you heating?

About 1800 sq. ft. Even at the lowest setting, it's blasting me out. I have a 3-season porch that is all closed in that I have in years past heated with my Harmon. I'm thinking of running a duct to that area to heat it too.

Thats great....I know the feeling right now - its too hot in here!! Not complaining though...my wife and kids love it.

One issue I have is that my duct work has quite a lot of static pressure. I might buy a bigger blower to get more CFM out of it to distribute the air better....will see how it goes when it gets cold.

There are some fans that you can install inside the duct work. I saw one at the place where I purchased the duct work parts that I needed. It's not the little cheap one like they have at Home Depot or Lowes. I didn't inquire as to cost but I might the next time I go there.

Last night I had to turn off the pellet furnace as it was just too hot in the house. It's still too hot this morning.

mbx5 said:
Thats great....I know the feeling right now - its too hot in here!! Not complaining though...my wife and kids love it.

One issue I have is that my duct work has quite a lot of static pressure. I might buy a bigger blower to get more CFM out of it to distribute the air better....will see how it goes when it gets cold.

Have you measured the static pressure?

I only ask because I have not yet done so with my furnace. Only feeding 6 ducts and get a good flow through them. There is a Forum member (mepellet) that is gonna try and calculate it for me (providing all info on duct size, diamter, length, and blower CFM) But I still would like to have it done.

Glad the St. Criox's are working out for both of you. Nice to see some other Furnace users on here. Interested in the findings this season.

Good luck to both of you.

DexterDay said:
Nice to see some other Furnace users on here..........

I think we'll see more and more opt for the whole house heat as time goes on! The space heaters are nice, But for just a little more you get even heat about the house. I've been pluggin them when they seem like a better option.

I too am glad to see more furnace's being installed. I'll have plenty of reading before I install mine. ;-)

When you get the static pressure figured out, Post some guide lines so we have a theory or clue on whats needed. Love the added info we get here in the group! Share with a brother? hehe!

Status
Not open for further replies.