Cleaning chimney... gasket fell out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GoldFly

Jun 28, 2020
Vermont
Hi everyone,

Been lurking these forums for quite some time but this is my first post here. We purchased our Hearthstone Green Mountain 60 wood stove a little over a year ago and just finished up our first winter with it. I recently bought a SootEater to clean out the chimney myself. It seems to have worked very well, but when I finished up and pulled it back out through the front of the stove I found a gasket had gotten wrapped around it. My questions are:
  • What is this gasket/where did it come from?
  • Is it ok to operate the stove without it?
IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

My guess would be bypass gasket but I don't know the stove well enough to be sure. Check the bypass

Interesting. I'd be contacting Hearthstone with that one. When cleaning stove pipe from bottom up with a sooteater, I have to take the top of my Hampton H300 apart. My stove is full of gaskets and I find them with every part removed. I took pictures as I disassembled so I'd know what gasket went where. Sounds you had a gasket misaligned if it came out during cleaning.

Exact reason I don't clean through my bypass equipped stove. Could never figure out how to safely get passed my bypass gasket safely. My option is telescoping connector pipe. Slide it up off the stove and insert sooteater. The area around the bypass needs cleaning each time anyway.

Yes it looks like the bypass gasket.

I have a Green Mountain stove as well and one day I noticed a section of my bypass gasket hanging down (coming off). I used a bit of gasket cement and haven’t had a problem since. Putting the whole gasket back on would be tricky though—might need to disconnect from the pipe.

Circling back to this... it was the bypass gasket after all. I had trouble getting the stove pipe off so I just put it back in from the inside. Probably didn't do a perfect job, but it seems to be working well enough now.

Does anyone know what size the gasket is for the bypass door. My green mountain 60 rope also fell out but was coming apart so definitely need a new one asap