Cleaning glass window on door of woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syd3006

Jan 20, 2008
Northwestern Ontario
Does anyone know of a homemade cleaning solution for the glass window on the door of a woodstove? I bought some stuff at Canadian Tire but it didn't do the best job, I had to scrub hard and it didn't get all of the black off. I am sure there is some inovative person on this forum who has come up with a cleaner that works well and is inexpensive.

This was from a post I read and it really really works! But it is a bit messy. Simply take a rag thats damp and dip it in some fresh ash from the stove and you will find it is just the right abrasive to really scour the crap off the glass like a champion! I bet there is nothing better you can buy that will beat it.

Yep, ashes work best, gets the worst build up the easiest, then finish up glass cleaner.

I never heard that B4. Sounds like it would work. I have been using the cleaner for smooth top ranges on mine and it does a good job. (not home made though :lol: )

Not homemade, but I use the same ceramic cooktop cleaner that I
use on my range. Easy cleaning with no streaks.

Wiping with the ashes left streaks on the glass that drove me crazy as
I could still see them when the stove is running.

EDIT: I only clean the glass when the stove is off and cool.

I use a small sponge with a felt like scrubber on the back.I have a small container of water, dip the back in ashes, scrub the glass then rinse sponge, wipe off glass then dry with newspaper. comes out like brand new. Makes my life easy. I do this every 3 or 4 days when I clean my stove (yankee bay insert).

Oven cleaner or Easy Off BAM... just put paper towels down below it and spray away.

syd3006 said:
Does anyone know of a homemade cleaning solution for the glass window on the door of a woodstove? I bought some stuff at Canadian Tire but it didn't do the best job, I had to scrub hard and it didn't get all of the black off. I am sure there is some inovative person on this forum who has come up with a cleaner that works well and is inexpensive.

Denatured Alcohol!!!!!!! Best product for the job. You can get it at any Home Depot. You should also put 1 gallon every 6 months in the home heating oil tank.

pete324rocket said:
This was from a post I read and it really really works! But it is a bit messy. Simply take a rag thats damp and dip it in some fresh ash from the stove and you will find it is just the right abrasive to really scour the crap off the glass like a champion! I bet there is nothing better you can buy that will beat it.
+100
Go this route, and its your best bet...no cost and works great

All I do is use a dry cloth but my glass gets treated/cleaned during the monthly cleaning with Rutland conditioning glass cleaner. It leaves an invisible film of silicone on the glass surface. The glass stays cleaner longer and ash and reside wipe off effortlessly. It helps keeps the ash from sticking to the glass.

Most all of the above mentioned cleaning ideas will work fine, but the ones I find to work the best are the damp cloth or paper towel dipped into some stove ashes, or a Magic Eraser works great too.

Gio said:
All I do is use a dry cloth but my glass gets treated/cleaned during the monthly cleaning with Rutland conditioning glass cleaner. It leaves an invisible film of silicone on the glass surface. The glass stays cleaner longer and ash and reside wipe off effortlessly. It helps keeps the ash from sticking to the glass.

You know I have been thinking about something like this for a while. In the winter I always put Rain-X windshield washer fluid in the cars, it leaves a coating of something (I assume silicone) and was wondering if I used this on a paper towel to wipe down the window a couple of times, would it help? I think I am going to try it when I shut the stove down for a cleaning tomorrow.

Windex and Majic Eraser ..so far works great on mine.
Wife hits the OFF button ..round 7:00am ..an when i get home our Englander has run through its shutdown cycle and is cool enough to vacume out & clean the window why i put a bag in the hopper an we have it re-light and heatin in bought 20 minutes.
Tim

GarryP said:
You know I have been thinking about something like this for a while. In the winter I always put Rain-X windshield washer fluid in the cars, it leaves a coating of something (I assume silicone) and was wondering if I used this on a paper towel to wipe down the window a couple of times, would it help? I think I am going to try it when I shut the stove down for a cleaning tomorrow.

I'll be very interested in hearing how that works out.

macman said:
GarryP said:

I'll be very interested in hearing how that works out.

I bet a set of wipers for the stove glass would go over big too.

Status
Not open for further replies.