Cleaning my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2012
Central BC
Just a quick question about how to clean a chimney.
From my stove, the pipe goes up, then a 90 through the wall. Connects into a T, then up through the roof.
I am sure that I can just take the bottom cap off the T, and push the brush up to clean the pipe. My question is, what can I use at the bottom of the T to stop all of the (if any) soot from falling down and making a mess?
Is there any special catch can, cap or other special modified cap that you use?
I was thinking of building a cap with a small hole in the center for the rod to go through, and a hole for a vacuum hose to connect to for this. Any ideas?
Thanks.

That T usually has a catch in the bottom side of and most of the creosote and buildup ends up in there. I usually run a shop vac in the opening to catch dust that rolls out as I'm cleaning.

That T usually has a catch in the bottom side of and most of the creosote and buildup ends up in there. I usually run a shop vac in the opening to catch dust that rolls out as I'm cleaning.

Nope, no catch, and, if I clean from the bottom, all the creosote (if there is any) will fall down in my face :)

That was a thought\idea I was going to try. Thanks.

Brian, I though I had saved a picture but didn't. Perhaps we could find it with a search but I have not tried. Someone used a plastic coffee can. He drilled a hole in the bottom of it to run the pipe through. It did a great job of catching the crap. I've used a bag but may try that other idea. Let us know what you do and how it works please.

Brian, I though I had saved a picture but didn't. Perhaps we could find it with a search but I have not tried. Someone used a plastic coffee can. He drilled a hole in the bottom of it to run the pipe through. It did a great job of catching the crap. I've used a bag but may try that other idea. Let us know what you do and how it works please.
Similarly, someone in an earlier thread (and with great pictures of the process) used what looked like a plastic bleach bottle that friction-fit into the bottom-end of the T, and then ran the brush handle through that hole. If you'll search the Sooteater thread, I think you might see some innovations from the Hearth.com geniuses that would be useful for you -- even if you don't use the Sooteater.

ETA - Here's one link:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...n-chimney-first-time-tips.90981/#post-1189802

Nice. Thanks for the link 1750.

Brian, my wife checked our chimney today. It does not need cleaning but there was quite a bit of fly ash and a little soot at the bottom of the tee. I haven't measured it so not sure how much but she said there really was not much there. So, it appears I'll save time again. The last time I cleaned it was in the summer of 2009 and we got about a cup of fly ash and soot. Just one more testament to burning good wood and running a good stove.

I'll have to take a look up the chimney tonight and see if it even has to be cleaned. I doubt it does, but, better look before the cold weather comes.
I will probably clean it anyways. Just to make sure that (when I build a catch can) that it will work, and see how quickly it can be done.
I do agree though, burning good wood, in a well maintained stove, should mean less cleaning.
Thanks for all the replies.

Most build up issues occur at the top. Don't let the bottom being clean fool you, that the top is the same.
It is a good habit for most, to clean at lease once annually. Check every month or so, the first year.
Dennis's situation although a great scenario, is not typical of many other set ups.
Check yours, and do not assume it will be fine for a few years. Especially the first few years, to get an idea of your own burning habits, and any adjustments that may be needed in such habits and the wood.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yes, thanks Hog. I have decided that I will clean it this weekend. Needed or not. Although I haven't had a lot of fires, but, they have been low and slow.

I am going into season 8 and improved vastly over the first 2 to 2 seasons in technique and wood readiness.
Even into season 6 and 7 I was still improving, burning longer yet using less wood. Learning patience, and honing in at burning temps.
After a couple seasons from the start, you have a very good feel for how & what your burning and what it may leave in the stack or not.
I cleaned mine 3x the first year I think. Now whether needed or not, 1x per year, with an inspection of the stack, cap & stove. And usually a cup of coffee grind looking soot.
You got the idea.

Reactions: BucksCounty
Status
Not open for further replies.