CLEANING OUT STOVE ABOVE BAFFLE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I was cleaning out my ashes today and got a little carried away after I noticed about a 1/2" of fly ash above the baffle. I couldn't get my hand up there to sweep the ash out so I started taking apart the baffle and tubes. The tubes came right out after removing a cotter pin. But the ceramic baffle was another story. The baffle sits on top of a steel bracket that looks like it was set into place before the top soapstone panels were set. I don't know if there is a way to get it out without breaking the ceramic or dismantling the top of the stove? Maybe Hearthstone does this for a reason? There is no mention of removal of baffle in the manual. Maybe I can rig some kind of flex hose on a vacuum to get the ash out? Anyone ever run into this problem? I can't even get at it from the stoves exhaust. What a pain!

In my Hearthstone Bennington that steel bracket is just sitting across a little ledge in the stove so it was easy to remove. I broke my baffle while trying to remove it, as it is fairly fragile. After spending $100 to replace it I've decided to remove the "heat exchanger" the next time I want to clean on top of the baffle. Oh yeah, i also cracked a corner off the replacement baffle while putting that in. Ah, good times.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.