Cleaning the Austral

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
Thought i'd take advantage of todays warm weather to clean the chimney before the next polar blast arrives. I started burning off and on since Sept 11th. Since this is my first cleaning with this stove Im not quite sure what to think about my findings.

The chimney is only 12 ft so i figured with that short length the gases wouldnt cool enough to create much creosote. The cap was quite encrusted in a wet flaky creosote but cleaned off easy enough. The pipe itself was dirtier than i expected, similar to my smoke dragon wood furnace when i clean that.

IMG_20141130_121800.jpg PICT4359.JPG

a nice inch or so high pile of creosote that must have fell back down the chimney during use to pile up at the bottom of the pipe. Kind of concerns me that could pile up enough to block off air flow up the chimney if left to long. And over time how do you clean out the pieces that kind of roll away from the opening that you cant reach?
PICT4357.JPG

I also noticed some creosote chunks just laying on the roof around the chimney, im assuming it just blew off in the wind and didnt come out as part of a chimney fire?

PICT4363.JPG

all told i had about 3/4 a coffee can of dry flaky shiny creosote. Guess i expected less with such a short chimney but maybe thats normal? Woods at 15% so thats not an issue. Just don't see much difference creosote wise between the Austral and my Vogelzang wood furnace.
PICT4364.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.