Cleaning your Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
livefreeordie Wow your glass gets pretty dirty!

alan323 said:
Check my Sig. There is a link to some cleaning instructions there it might help.

Great step by step instructions. Thank You! I gave my stove a good cleaning today. I should probably wear a mask next time. I haven't cleaned out the vent pipe. It's only two weeks old. It should be fine.

MacP said:
alan323 said:
Check my Sig. There is a link to some cleaning instructions there it might help.

Great step by step instructions. Thank You! I gave my stove a good cleaning today. I should probably wear a mask next time. I haven't cleaned out the vent pipe. It's only two weeks old. It should be fine.

There are a lot of variables in how quick the pipe can collect ash. Plan to vac the pipe every ton or so. Or if you see a change in the burn. By next season you will be an expert.

I used to use Windex for the glass. It is still a lot of work to get it really clean. Then I tried that oven cleaner that comes in a spray can. WOW! Talk about a fast and easy clean. It gets it really nice, just like new. :)

For the glass I use "Pierre d'argent" (soap with clay), water (with a sponge) and last a dry piece of rag...

Easy, safe (no gaz) and very, very quick !

Au revoir.

Should I be scraping the inside walls in my pellet stove?

MacP said:
Should I be scraping the inside walls in my pellet stove?

i hope not.
pretty sure just a brushing is all the walls should need.
if you have material requiring scraping on the firebox walls, something is very wrong.

a flashlight might be helpful if you can't see what's going on.
i use a 4" wide paint brush. and i have a shop brush too.
the shop brush fits in the channel leading to the combustion blower on my stove.
just be careful not to go so far as to hit the blade of the blower if your stove allows you access like mine does.

It's a very thin layer. I just didn't know I it was normal.

i only have experience w/ my stove. but i clean it everyday.
and yes. a thin layer is there every time i clean.
and then any shelf like surfaces (ledges) get ash piled on them too.
so if there are ledges out of your sight line, brush them off at cleaning too..

I try to clean mine everyday or every other day depending on the temperature outside. If its too cold I'll let it run and I'll clean it when it warms up. This site has made obsessed about keeping my stove clean and efficient. So it looks like a thin layer is okay and it's not worth scraping.

the burn pot itself is where things need scraping. to get the carbon deposits off.
there is a big thread on that topic.
i'll add the link here in a sec.

* i just saw your post. if you clean everyday, then brushing will get all of that stuff.
i've actually taken to shutting the stove off and brushing things down while the fans are still running .
it keeps the fine ash from getting out into the room.

but be careful if you do this.
pretty easy to burn your forearms.
several folks use leather gloves while cleaning as do i for hot cleaning.
you have to give at least a little time for things to cool down.
i myself give it less than a minute. the paint brish never catches fore. but the bristles are slowly getting shorter.
i'd say natural bristles are a mush if you are doing hot cleaning. don't want any plastic melting issues.

but i can clean my stove now before losing 5 degrees in the living room temp on the coldest days.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82828/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/85276/

there are tons more threads too.
the search bar at the bottom of the page that shows all the threads is the best one to use as it searches only this forum.

and it's a good idea to talk with folks who have the same stove as you (or look for their posts in threads) for more specific tips.

i see you have a harman. the member at the top of this page has listed a cleaning guide in his signature.

I will clean my stove at least once a week, but how the pellets are burning (lots of ash or little ash) determines how often I clean my stove. I do as most here have said, I will clean and scrap burnpot and vacuum out inside of the stove, clean the glass with either a generic window cleaner or lately I have been using Rutland Conditioning Glass Cleaner. I do wipe down the glass twice a day with a cloth such as a hand towel. I will pull off the combustion blower (exhaust) usually every other month. I believe this is important to do as the ash will build up on the fan blades (making the blades heavier thus making bearing life shorter) as well as on the plate. Be sure to have extra gaskets on hand as these are one time use. While the combustion motor is off I will also run a brush through the vent pipe.

alan323 said:

Great cleaning guide! Thank you!

Tony K said:
I will clean my stove at least once a week, but how the pellets are burning (lots of ash or little ash) determines how often I clean my stove. I do as most here have said, I will clean and scrap burnpot and vacuum out inside of the stove, clean the glass with either a generic window cleaner or lately I have been using Rutland Conditioning Glass Cleaner. I do wipe down the glass twice a day with a cloth such as a hand towel. I will pull off the combustion blower (exhaust) usually every other month. I believe this is important to do as the ash will build up on the fan blades (making the blades heavier thus making bearing life shorter) as well as on the plate. Be sure to have extra gaskets on hand as these are one time use. While the combustion motor is off I will also run a brush through the vent pipe.

I never thought about removing the combustion motor. It makes sense though. That might me out of my league. I've been using a toothbrush to clean off the blades. I'll have to do some more research on this.

I've been using the Rutland conditioning glass cleaner. It works great!

Thank you!

+ 1

A clean stove is an happy one !

;)

I never thought about removing the combustion motor. It makes sense though. That might me out of my league. I've been using a toothbrush to clean off the blades. I'll have to do some more research on this.

I've been using the Rutland conditioning glass cleaner. It works great!

Thank you![/quote]

It's not that difficult to remove the exhaust motor. In my case just have to remove the motor off the housing, loosen about 5 screws just enough and the motor will twist off. You do not have to remove the entire assembly and what I mean by entire assembly is the motor and housing. Housing attaches to the stove itself and motor attaches to the housing. Check your directions I'm pretty sure it will say to remove this and clean around every ton. Again be sure to have a replacement gasket on hand.

MellieNH said:
I used to use Windex for the glass. It is still a lot of work to get it really clean. Then I tried that oven cleaner that comes in a spray can. WOW! Talk about a fast and easy clean. It gets it really nice, just like new. :)

just be sure it is non ammonia windex. ( i think some does have ammonia)
ammonia will eventually cause the glass to haze permanently.

i'm not sure about oven cleaner. but it scares me with what it could do to the ceramic glass.
once the surface is pitted by corrosives, hazing will eventually follow.

I only use a wet paper towel and then a dry one. Every now and then a textured sponge. It all comes clean very easily.

i vacuum and clean the entire inside,clean the screens on the fans and throw the leaf blower on it about once a week....IMO it burns alot better..i could go a month but with doing this every week it works for my likings! and it only takes me 15-20 min
bMan

you mean you are supposed to clean these?????????

weekly here

I do a cleaning (ashes and glass) once a week. About once a month/ton the leaf blower comes out.

Clean the glass, empty ash pan, scrape down the burnpot, and brush the walls once a week.

I do a more thorough cleaning about twice a month: Remove the fire chamber panels and give the inside a good brush, clean behind combustion blower plate.

I've never done the leaf blower, though I should... just need to figure out exactly what kind of adapter to put at the end so it fits in the pipe on my roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.