Cleanout Brush. Is there a trick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMZX

Aug 30, 2010
NE. Oregon
I purchased a Brushtech B67C clean-out brush for my vent pipe. It has a flexible rod that will bind up after inserting it 3' into the vent pipe.

I have tried coming in from the top and the bottom but can only get it in about 3' before the rod wads up.

Is there some sort of trick to get doing this, or do I need to purchase another kit with a rigid rod?

After pondering I think I have a workaround. Duct tape the flexible rod to a fiberglass, folding tent pole. Insert with pole, pull out with flexy rod. It should get me down to the dogleg above the stove.

Be careful, I did something simular. The duct tape connection came apart and I had a brush stuck in the exhaust. I had to take apart the whole thing to get it out. What a mess. Lesson learned.

Pellet stove pole shouldn't wad up. Should be flexible yet stiff.

BIH

Another good trick is to grab the rod with both hands like an antique hand drill and rotate clockwise. Don't go counter clockwise because you risk unscrewing one of your rods.

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
Be careful, I did something simular. The duct tape connection came apart and I had a brush stuck in the exhaust. I had to take apart the whole thing to get it out. What a mess. Lesson learned.

Pellet stove pole shouldn't wad up. Should be flexible yet stiff.

BIH

I thought about that as well. I think it can be solved, as can most world problems, by using much more duct tape than one might think may be needed. I was thinking of double taping about 24" of the flexy rod to the tent pole.

Are you using a 4" brush on a 3" pipe? Possible..... Dont ask me how I know? Lint Eater is a 4" kit. Had to "customize" the 4" end with a pair of scissors. LOL

DexterDay said:
Are you using a 4" brush on a 3" pipe? Possible..... Dont ask me how I know? Lint Eater is a 4" kit. Had to "customize" the 4" end with a pair of scissors. LOL

No. 3" on a 3". With that flexible rod I do not think you could get a 4" brush more than a few inches into the vent pipe.

I've got the lint eater (Lowe's) the rods are flexible.

I run the brush down from the outside starting with a straight piece of pipe about 12"-18" then a right angle turn downward toward the clean-out "T". If I remember correctly I must have the brush spinning to get by the 90 deg elbow. Remember if you haven't tried it before don't turn the drill on reverse to try and back-out or you will probably spin off the brush inside the piping.

I attached the flex rod to a breakdown fiberglass tent pole using copious duct tape. Ran it down from the top and even managed to work it past the 45 degree dog leg. That worked great.

~2 quarts of soot and ash came out the T. I am ready to go when the wx gets cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.