Clearance from combustibles: Help for a friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoobTube

Burning Hunk
Nov 11, 2013
Seymour, CT
Hi all,

I'm going to defer to your collective wisdom, since I didn't know the answer and the installer of the stove for my friend also did not know either, which honestly I thought he would. Anyhow, here is the situation. Picture attached. We built a feature wall out of shiplap at his house which is roughly 11 feet tall and about 8 feet wide. Installed a mantel above the fireplace that is within the correct height for distance away from the hearth. The question they have and me too, is can they run shiplap all the way down to the floor around the metal surround, or does it have to be a non-combustible like tile or tumbled stone?

That also begs the question, because the surround is a very flimsy thin wood paneling, would I need to replace that with hardi-board or something? Let me know. Installed in the room is a Quadrafire 5100.

Attachments

• IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 108
Hi all,

I'm going to defer to your collective wisdom, since I didn't know the answer and the installer of the stove for my friend also did not know either, which honestly I thought he would. Anyhow, here is the situation. Picture attached. We built a feature wall out of shiplap at his house which is roughly 11 feet tall and about 8 feet wide. Installed a mantel above the fireplace that is within the correct height for distance away from the hearth. The question they have and me too, is can they run shiplap all the way down to the floor around the metal surround, or does it have to be a non-combustible like tile or tumbled stone?

That also begs the question, because the surround is a very flimsy thin wood paneling, would I need to replace that with hardi-board or something? Let me know. Installed in the room is a Quadrafire 5100.
All of the required clearances are pretty well laid out in the quad manual

Thanks bholler. I wasn't there at the install and have not yet perused the manual, but the funny part is my buddy and the installer said they looked through it and couldn't find the clearances. I'm going to look now and see what i see.

Thanks bholler. I wasn't there at the install and have not yet perused the manual, but the funny part is my buddy and the installer said they looked through it and couldn't find the clearances. I'm going to look now and see what i see.
They didn't look very hard if they couldn't find them lol