Clearance needed to install 6" liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodBurner24

Dec 30, 2009
My flue is 7" in diameter, but the the thimble is 6 1/4". I was told by the installer on the phone that they probably won't be able to install a 6" liner due to the small thimble diameter. I guess you need some room to sick your hands in there? Is this true? And if so, is there any way around it?

WoodBurner24 said:
My flue is 7" in diameter, but the the thimble is 6 1/4". I was told by the installer on the phone that they probably won't be able to install a 6" liner due to the small thimble diameter. I guess you need some room to sick your hands in there? Is this true? And if so, is there any way around it?

If your chimney flue is 7" why are you lining it?
Unless it's falling apart, or otherwise non-compliant,
I'd just run my 6" connector into it & burn baby, burn!

Well, I haven't seen the chimney but 7 inches should be enough to get an uninsulated liner down and I don't see the issue with a 6.25 thimble. The tee pipe is only 6 inches I think. Should be just enough room.

Insulation is your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.