Clearance question Jotul vs Sliding glass door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

miaoreo

Aug 19, 2022
Arkansas
Hi new here, was wondering if anyone has any input on the following questions. We have a Jotul F600 Firelight installed on a tile hearth, sitting in front of a sliding glass door. There is a heat shield on the back of the stove and 16" clearance to the glass. We installed this stove over 7 years ago and have not had any issues. But now we wish to replace the sliding door, and are being told aluminum frame sliding doors are no longer available. (From Lowes) So my question is; Does anyone know if a vinyl door frame would be affected by heat from the stove? We also wish to have a door with the blinds in between the glass... Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup?

48E32D32-ADDB-4F38-B7C5-E4A582CB4B33.JPG

Last edited:
What are the required clearances to combustibles

I don't know... a glass door is not combustible.... what I am asking is if anyone has a stove placed near a vinyl framed door and if they have had any issues.
But the vinyl frame is if you have proper clearances to combustibles it should be fine

But the vinyl frame is if you have proper clearances to combustibles it should be fine
Thank you ... I did find this... so assuming a 36 in clearance without a heat shield, my 16" should be OK, (100% - 67% = 33%) 36" x .33 = 12" clearance.

According to Wood Heat Safety Woodheat.org Original source: http://www.woodheat.org/clearances.html

1. Sheet metal heat shield, 29 gauge or heavier, with 7/8" (we recommend 1") air space (described below):
    • Reduce side & rear clearances by 67%
    • Reduce top clearance distance by 50%

Thank you ... I did find this... so assuming a 36 in clearance without a heat shield, my 16" should be OK, (100% - 67% = 33%) 36" x .33 = 12" clearance.

According to Wood Heat Safety Woodheat.org Original source: http://www.woodheat.org/clearances.html

1. Sheet metal heat shield, 29 gauge or heavier, with 7/8" (we recommend 1") air space (described below):
    • Reduce side & rear clearances by 67%
    • Reduce top clearance distance by 50%
That is a generic clearance for an unlisted stove. There should be a tag on the back of yours listing it's required clearances