Clearance required to run a woodstove pipe past a window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birken

Oct 8, 2013
Just closing up a new log cabin and have a few placement options for Bosca 450 classic. One spot is front and center of the building directly under a valuated ceiling, about 15 feet from the stove top to the ceiling. Our issue is a glassed-in gable end, using triangular double pane windows. The pipe would run past a 6 foot section of glass on its way out the roof. How far from the windows should pipes be to avoid damaging the glass? I’m looking at double walled Excel and Duravent. Outside temp goes down to -10 or -15c in the winter.

I have heard of issues with a large heat differential near glass but have not experienced them. Although the clearance for 6" double-wall is 6" I have measured the wall that is >11" from our DVL pipe at 135::F so I don't think going for at least a foot of clearance is unwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.