Clearance to Non-Combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Werner70

Oct 9, 2018
NH
I am installing a wood stove (Werner W-130) in an unfinished basement. I have gone through NFPA 211 but i can not find the answer to clearances to non-combustibles. The basement floor is concrete so per 13.5.1.3 i should not need any added protection or clearance reduction. However, I can not find the minimum clearance to a non-combustible "wall". The surface behind the stove is the un-finished exterior of the chimney. Would this even be considered a "wall"? This is is a central chimney so the chimney itself is the only surface near the stove. Is there a minimum clearance needed from the concrete block chimney?

I am installing a wood stove (Werner W-130) in an unfinished basement. I have gone through NFPA 211 but i can not find the answer to clearances to non-combustibles. The basement floor is concrete so per 13.5.1.3 i should not need any added protection or clearance reduction. However, I can not find the minimum clearance to a non-combustible "wall". The surface behind the stove is the un-finished exterior of the chimney. Would this even be considered a "wall"? This is is a central chimney so the chimney itself is the only surface near the stove. Is there a minimum clearance needed from the concrete block chimney?
Nope you could put the stove right against it if you wanted. But i wouldnt recomend that. Just leave enough room to do any service you will need to do