Clearance to window glass dor single wall pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kenora

Nov 20, 2007
Kenora, Ontario, Canada
I'm installing a woodstove.. hopefully a BK Ashford 30.. it's going to be centered on a wall with a brick back to 8 ft..then onwards to the cathedral ceiling there is a large triple pane non opening window above that.. from 8 ft to 12 dr.. it's a 3ft x 4ft window.. the flue passes about 1 ft from the glass..inside the house..
Is that an issue?
Thanks from NW Ontario Canada
Tim

Possibly, depends on what your municipality calls combustible, mine would rule that the window frame is combustible and would require the full 18" clearance. My municipality also doesn't allow single wall pipe at all for solid fuel appliances, double wall only, yours may also have this requirement.

I think you are much better off to go with double wall pipe. As double wall pipe only require 6" clearance.

Reactions: kenora
Thanks.. is double wall approved and recommended for bk?

The manual for that particular stove requires double wall pipe. Page 13.

A stove that does not require double wall should have double wall used if the ceiling height to chimney support box is more than 8 feet to prevent too much cooling of inside flue gasses before entering the insulated chimney.

Not sure how you could have glass 12 inches from pipe without having window frame or trim or any other combustible supporting structure within the same 12 inch distance. Single wall pipe requires 18 inches to any combustible material.

check your local building code.. In my end of Canada you need to be 3 feet from a window. Even if its a non opening window as their is a very slim chance the window could leak and draw smoke into the house

check your local building code.. In my end of Canada you need to be 3 feet from a window. Even if its a non opening window as their is a very slim chance the window could leak and draw smoke into the house
The OP is asking about clearance from connector pipe to window inside the house. I think you're referring to exhausting the vent outside within 3 feet of a window?

An open window within 3 feet of a stove, pipe or chimney (not outlet) has no affect on smoke inside the building. It would allow atmospheric air pressure into the stove easier decreasing the possibility of smoke in the house. If any window is open on a level above the stove, rising hot air in the building moving up and out can overpower the draft inside the chimney, known as stack effect, causing smoke to enter from stove intake. Nothing to do with clearance.