clearances: all science or some manufacturers more conservative than others?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks. So, there is a specific test with stated temperature at certain distances from a device to determine allowed clearances? Then there is a set standard for all products? I'd like to read the U.L. test requirements.
You can read them if you pay to have access to them.

A Fireview without a heatshield has a rear clearance of 30 inches, with the heat shield the rear clearance is 18 inches - still a pretty large clearance. I believe the Fireview 205 UL testing was done in 1995 or so (I think the 205 came on the market in 1996). The optional FV heat shield is pretty small, and I believe what Tom was saying was that with their much greater ability to work with steel now, they could design a heat shield now that would allow the Fireview 205 with heat shield to pass UL testing with a much closer rear clearance, however the whole stove with new heat shield design would have to go through an entirely new UL testing process.
Having it retested with a new shield would only benefit people who are venting straight out the back with a combustible wall. I can see why they don’t bother with it.

Reactions: KennyK
Having it retested with a new shield would only benefit people who are venting straight out the back with a combustible wall. I can see why they don’t bother with it.

I see what you’re saying. You think it could maybe benefit people venting up from the stove with double wall pipe? I figure if the pipe itself takes up 6” of space from the rear vent of the stove, and the double wall pipe has 6” clearance, maybe you could get it within 12” or so from a combustible wall instead of the current 18, no? Perhaps still not worth retesting for a 6” benefit for those venting up, or for those venting straight out the back with a combustible wall, but some folks may pass on the stove due to the current rear clearance.

I see what you’re saying. You think it could maybe benefit people venting up from the stove with double wall pipe? I figure if the pipe itself takes up 6” of space from the rear vent of the stove, and the double wall pipe has 6” clearance, maybe you could get it within 12” or so from a combustible wall instead of the current 18, no? Perhaps still not worth retesting for a 6” benefit for those venting up, or for those venting straight out the back with a combustible wall, but some folks may pass on the stove due to the current rear clearance.
It wouldn’t allow you to move the stove much closer even with double wall. I used a 90 because I already had it, it’s about 7” from the wall. A Tee might get a bit closer but only an inch if that.

Reactions: KennyK
I’m still waiting for my wood door handle to spontaneously combust, 3” clearance from red hot stove;lol

How would one determine clearances for an antique stove?

How would one determine clearances for an antique stove?
It is 36" without a proper ventilated wall sheild. 12 with one. But you don't want to heat with an antique.