clearances from windows. clarification needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

St_Earl

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2011
millinocket, maine
as i read the specs in my owners manual, termination needs to be at least 12" above AND 48" horizontally from an opening window or door.

this afternoon on site i have read 2 posts where people are saying it's 12" above OR 48" horizontally from.

for my part, i'm pretty sure it's "and".

this is (exactly) how it reads-

2. distance from doors and opening windows, or gravity or ventilation air inlets into building:

a. not less than 48 inches (1.2 meters) below.
b. not less than 48 inches (1.2 meters) horizontally from.
c. not less than 12 inches (304 mm) above.

the licensed and bonded tech who did the install was pretty clear on these requirements as well.
i communicated with him before he arrived and worked out the location with these parameters in mind.

if it was "or" that would mean it was ok to place a vent termination 1 foot directly above an opening window.
that can't be right.

also from manual-
distances from permanently closed windows:

a. not less than 12 inches (305mm) below, horizontally from or above.

Last edited:
If I'm understanding your post correctly, I'd say it's OR. If you wanted to put the vent directly to the left or right of an opening window, as long as the min 48" were met, you'd be OK. You wouldn't ALSO (*AND)have to make sure it's 48" above or below. Putting it 12" above a window would also seem to be OK (according to the manual) but it would certainly be a bizarre place to put it.

Many manuals also have diagrams and by looking at those diagrams it is an OR situation.

Edit: I believe the clearance above a window being only 12 inches works because the exhaust is less dense than air and would naturally rise up....please correct if this is wrong

Last edited:
A snippet from a manual.
Note: not all manuals are the same

(b) Not less than 4 ft. (1.2 m) below, 4 ft. (1.2 m) horizontally from or 1 ft. (305 mm) above any door, window or gravity air inlet into any building

ive always been of the opinion that its like drawing a box around the window (4ft away below , 4 ft to each side and 1 ft above the window), the exhaust termination cannot be within that box.

as for venting terminating above , the hot exhaust is not going to descend into a window that far its naturally going to rise. i've watched exhaust vents as stoves have started and its pretty common even with a horizontal termination hood for the exhaust to not descend more than a couple inches below the opening. i've never seen an exhaust plume being blown down a foot even when im running tests in the summer when its 90 F outside.

that said if the manual says "AND" then thats what has to be done as code ALWAYS starts with "install according to the instructions of the appliance and within accordance with applicable codes" so you have to go with the manual first and if it doesn't specify, use the code. understand that in absence of a local code which specifically overrules the manual in a UL listed appliance , if the appliances' directions allow a tighter clearance you can go there (but not the other way around)

hope this helps ya

^that's how i see it too.
mine's been installed and i'm going into my 3rd season.

i was just concerned after seeing posts that viewed these specs differently.
just for the sake of clarity and/or debate.

or maybe for the sake of the best information for code compliance and safety.

Reactions: P38X2
Hmm.... I installed my own stove. In my area there is no requirement for inspection (I live way out in the styx!) I did NOT keep the horizontal clearance everyone is speaking of... I suppose if one might open the window while also running your pellet stove, it could be a problem!
There's just me. I doubt I'll ever sell the house.

In everyone's opinion, should I re-pipe my flue?

Has to be "OR:"
2. distance from doors and opening windows, or gravity or ventilation air inlets into building:

a. not less than 48 inches (1.2 meters) below.
b. not less than 48 inches (1.2 meters) horizontally from.
c. not less than 12 inches (304 mm) above.

Physically impossible for A & C to be in an "AND" situation.

Has to be "OR:"

Physically impossible for A & C to be in an "AND" situation.
ive always been of the opinion that its like drawing a box around the window (4ft away below , 4 ft to each side and 1 ft above the window), the exhaust termination cannot be within that box.
^ this.

Last edited:
My pellet dealer sez the operative word is "opening"... put a screw in the window so it does not open and you're good...

My pellet dealer sez the operative word is "opening"... put a screw in the window so it does not open and you're good...

:) That sounds like my kind of "fix"! Thanks much.

Reactions: St_Earl
Hmm.... I installed my own stove. In my area there is no requirement for inspection (I live way out in the styx!) I did NOT keep the horizontal clearance everyone is speaking of... I suppose if one might open the window while also running your pellet stove, it could be a problem!
There's just me. I doubt I'll ever sell the house.

In everyone's opinion, should I re-pipe my flue?

I would install it according to the manual or code. God forbid the stove causes a fire or any other kind of damage. You don't want to be screwed if the install is incorrect.

Think like an insurance company trying to get out of a claim

Reactions: P38X2 and Tedinski
I think you misunderstood this response....the box he refers to allows the venting to terminate 12" above a window. If the manual and code states so.

well, i suppose that clears it up then.
this fella bought his stove at the same place i bought mine. and was advised his venting was fine.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-stove-install-cab50.115284/#post-1541701

it's definitely different than i was led to believe. and i don't think i'm the only one.
but if that's the answer, then that's the answer.

for myself, i know that if there is a cross breeze going through a house, the pressure difference at an open window could certainly pull exhaust in from a foot above a window. especially with a typical downward slanting termination cap.
but i guess if you are burning with windows open on both sides of your house, you may have other problems. ;lol

i'm still not convinced of the wisdom of terminating so close. but if a foot above with no horizontal restriction cuts it for anyone, i suppose that's their prerogative.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the "stove police" drive by lately. If you have had the stove installed and using it for 3 years I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I would be more worried about the insurance company questioning the install. My agent questioned it at first then said if there were a problem it would have showed up by now.

I haven't seen the "stove police" drive by lately. If you have had the stove installed and using it for 3 years I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I would be more worried about the insurance company questioning the install. My agent questioned it at first then said if there were a problem it would have showed up by now.
i was never asking for me. i am very confident about my set up.

i only made the thread because i have started seeing a different interpretation on site of these clearance numbers.
so in the interest of "us" here giving good advice to those asking, i sought more opinions.

the second post in this thread https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-stove-install-cab50.115284/#post-1541701 shows that i am not the only one who thought the way i always have.
and i know there are others who saw it this way.

however, it seems many think that if you're a foot above, there is no additional requirement for horizontal distance from.
and that could well be the case.

as for stove police, i really got on this topic because a neighbor has a very strict home owners insurance policy because they have been landlords in the house they are moving back into.
they will definitely have an inspector out to look at this among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.