Close Clearance Alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Any advice on hammering? did you put it on a sheet of plywood or what? I'm definitely going to do this, will likely just screw the copper into my osb celing but I think this will be cool looking and i've got the stuff so why not.

I hamered mine on the carpet it seemed to make a nice dent. I also polished the front of thr ballpeen hammer with fine sandpaper to make it perfectly round. My copper was20 oz soft copper not sure what you have but thats what i used post some pictures when your done oh i also used brass wood screws and finishing washers to attach it they were available at lowes but not hd

I plugged a bunch of holes and around some firestop blocking with dow fireblock. Now its all sealed up most of it is behind durock but some i think is exposed i cant get back to it as everything is sealed up its about 11" from the chimney pipe. Of course i just happed to see a you tube video showing how flammable this stuff is and that it ignites at 240 which is 100 degrees lower than wood i am beyond confused about how this crap is sold as a fireblock do you guys think this is something to loose sleep over or would you not worry about it. I am extremely upset that i went the extra mile for safetys sake and was misled by this product. This is deceptive marketing at its best!

If the stuff is 11" from the chimney pipe it should be ok.

Jeeze not the enthuastic yes i was hoping for why would they even allow a product that ignites at 240 to be called fireblock here i am thinking im making what im doing better and safer but actually making it worse!

IMG_5759.PNG Dont use this stuff it ignites very easily they some claim at 240 i videoed it burning but the file is too large to post dont be mislead by the label i cut a bunch of durock out of my project to get it out as best i could

So this is what i was talking about on how the round ceiling support box is installed from the top .IMG_5763.JPG i lined the interior of the framed area with durock before i secured the box. The chase is totally sealed up with durock i. I just wonder if an atic insulation shield would help or if i should just leave it as is

If you are concerned about future critter intrusion then a shield may provide more peace of mind.

Ok so i have been burning my endeavor for 3 days and am still a little hesistant to load it up for an overnighter. the stove seems to be a good heater but definetly requires alot more finesse than the big better n bens stove i have up in the adirondacks. I have been playing with my ir gun and was suprised to see the section of the round ceiling support box that hangs into the room climbing past the 200 degree mark. Is this normal? The framing around it said 140 but it didnt seem that hot i could easily hold my hand on it and it just felt warm. Im waiting to seal up the ceiling until i am comfortable with whats going on up there

Also i have been talking with begreen about an attic insulation shield above the support box my concern is the round ceiling support box only comes about 3" up the 2x8 it is attached to. I was thinking of just splitting a roof radiation shield over the pipe sliding it down to the top of the support box and then installing a storm collar at the top. the attic insulation shield would not cover the exposed 2x8 sides because it requires a square frame. What do you guys think?
IMG_5792.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Joyboy
This morning i got the stove going good about 620 on the ir gun do you think thr pics below are normal temps the first is on the support box and the second on the framing i was getting some readings closer to 300 on the box. The ir gun seems working fine i shot boiling water and got a reading of 210 last night.

Attachments

• IMG_5793.JPG
    IMG_5793.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_5796.JPG
    IMG_5796.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 179