Closing up old basement fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hydes2004

Dec 28, 2012
Rhode Island
Hello,
I have a fireplace in my basement that is unused and we would like to close it up. The fireplace is in the foundation. We will be finishing our basement in the near future. What would be the proper steps to close this up? Do I fill it with concrete? Cap the flue but allow some airflow up top? 9cd8a36f6bc405b47f243c6e179e7238.jpg

Attachments

• 91BB4FC5-4628-48CD-814E-9CFF9C152A4A.jpeg
    91BB4FC5-4628-48CD-814E-9CFF9C152A4A.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,412
Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, light in picture is not connected to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id install an insert.

We are putting a free stander in the opposite corner

I'd cap it and cover it over with the option of access to reveal it later in case you decide to. Even leave it as a cubby, install a light in it and put some cool nick nacks in there.

Is that a 5.5' tall ceiling? I couldn't even walk down there.

A 30x30x30 cubby would hold a largeish minifridge nicely. Or maybe a cool looking old smoke dragon used as a storage cabinet.

I think I'd use the space but block the flue with plywood to catch falling crud and/or bricks. ;)

You will still have to maintain that old chimney or it will leak water into your finished basement eventually.

I would like to close it up for good. Vapor barrier and frame it off? There is a French drain up against it already in case any water came in

If you keep the chimney capped and well maintained, no water should get in, and you can always poke a hole in the wall to get access.

You could put a piece of cement board in the opening, and frame around the opening like a window so that when you need to get in there, it'll just be a piece of drywall and a piece of cement board, and not several studs in the way. Maybe give it a couple verticals in the middle, but just toenail them once at the top. That is easy to remove and still supports the drywall in case somebody leans on it.

Pouring it full of cement is a permanent solution, but expensive, and it ruins the chimney. Filling up just part of it leads to the risk of water leaking in higher up in the house.