Clunkers? err... Clinkers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
So I cleaned out ash yesterday and found what I'm assuming are clinkers. I found three hunks of what seem like rocks of sort - somewhat look like the lava rocks you buy for a charcoal grill. Somewhat flattish oval perhaps and largest was maybe 1-2" diameter and 1/2" thick. They were right up in the front of the stove under the glass.

As I understand it, a clinker is basically created from melting ash and requires some pretty serious heat to form. Fairly common in coal stoves but not unheard of in wood stoves.

What, if anything, does this say about my burning or wood? Good, bad, indifferent?

(edited to replace clunker with clinker... details, details... )

OOhhh...clinkers!! I thought we were gonna be talking about old cars. :)

Yeah, I get some of those as well. I have found that some flavors of wood create more than others. It usually takes a pretty good bed of ash and then alot of hot coals that have been tuned down to cause it in my stove. I don't know that it really says anything about your burn habits. I think it is more of an "environment" thing IMHO.

I get em in my stove too not sure what causes them.. Seem harmless enough and stove is running OK..

Ray

No worries . . . I suspect it may have something to do with the mineralization in the wood coupled with the high and prolonged heat (which may explain why Jags finds more or less of these clinkers depending on wood species) . . . I get them occasionally . . . no big deal . . . I wouldn't try skimping though and use them as lava rocks in the gas grill. ;)

firefighterjake said:
No worries . . . I suspect it may have something to do with the mineralization in the wood coupled with the high and prolonged heat (which may explain why Jags finds more or less of these clinkers depending on wood species) . . . I get them occasionally . . . no big deal . . . I wouldn't try skimping though and use them as lava rocks in the gas grill. ;)

Yeah - I figure they will end up being tossed in the trash once cooled. Not much good for the garden either. Maybe save them up and create some sort of modern art project - ha! Maybe use them in the bottom of flower pots or something.

Slow1 said:
firefighterjake said:

Yeah - I figure they will end up being tossed in the trash once cooled. Not much good for the garden either. Maybe save them up and create some sort of modern art project - ha! Maybe use them in the bottom of flower pots or something.

Let me know if you end up saving yours for a modern art project and I'll start saving mine, when I get them, and ship them to you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.