Clydesdale II thermometer pointer stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikewc

Feb 18, 2024
New Hampshire
IMG_6352.jpeg

Hi. First winter using this and somewhat of a nube. I discovered that the gauge needle Is being prevented from moving further to the right because it is hitting the top wall. Not enough clearance. So I have no idea if the fireplace is getting too hot or not. Anyone ever encounter this? Not sure how to fix it. Is the outer edge of the needle too far away from the center? Thanks.

Hey there, yeah I had this exact same problem. Tried emailing the company, and their answer was just to keep moving the probe around until it fits just right. Well, I did, and got it "just right", but after several days of it working fine it was back to it's old stuck position. This really feels like a manufacturing defect, the clearance is so close that it wouldn't take much to fix. I had a little workaround of using a butter knife to push the needle to the right to see if it was stuck, or how hot it actually was. If you push it side to side, it should spring back to where the temp is actually reading. I did eventually fix the problem by removing the surround and the mounting bracket (once the stove had cooled) and putting two washers in on the right-most screw, and then one washer one screw over. Haven't had the needle stuck since. See this pic, it's kinda hard to make out, but you can see a washer there, just barely. Hope this helps. Good luck!
PXL_20240219_023258492.jpg

Here's an even better picture I found, showing the washer in place, and the needle at the peak, just look at that clearance, and that's with 2 washers in place! Also, I just pulled off my surround, looks like there's two washers on the two right most screws. And for clarification, it goes above the first sheet of metal, and below the surround mounting bracket. The problem is, when the stove heats up the spring that moves the needle expands too much and it brushed up against the underside of the mounting bracket, so the washers will raise the mounting bracket up just a little bit.

PXL_20231214_145726585.jpg