Coal Plant Retirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burning tires is horrible from an emissions point of view. You can also be privy to the details with Google.
It's not great, but neither is the alternative. The cement industry is the third-largest energy consumer in the country. Tires are used because they have 25% more energy than coal and the resulting ash has much less heavy metal content than coal. The alternative has been landfilling them which can have some very bad results. The tires (53 million a year!) are burned at a very high 1800º which ensures complete combustion.

I did a little research and found that a staggering 130 million tires a year are burned by various industries!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Tires can be burnt clean as long as the right emissions equipment is installed downstream. Compared to burning trash its not that tough although the steel cords can gum up the works. Tire Derived Fuel TDF is chipped tires, its permitted to be used in biomass plants and is lot easier to deal with.

It's not great, but neither is the alternative. The cement industry is the third-largest energy consumer in the country. Tires are used because they have 25% more energy than coal and the resulting ash has much less heavy metal content than coal. The alternative has been landfilling them which can have some very bad results. The tires (53 million a year!) are burned at a very high 1800º which ensures complete combustion.

I did a little research and found that a staggering 130 million tires a year are burned by various industries!
I stand corrected. Years ago I used to burn racing slicks with my friends but then I learned that burning tires isn't cool. I guess there is a safe way to do it.

Former coal energy generation site conversion to pumped storage facility.

Dive Brief:
  • A proposal to build a 2.2 GW pumped hydro storage facility in Arizona moved one step closer to reality last week, after the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) accepted its application for a preliminary permit.
  • The $3.6 billion project would be built at a U.S. Bureau of Reclamation reservoir on the Colorado River, and rely on transmission infrastructure that was part of the retired Navajo Generating Station coal facility. It would deliver power to Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Phoenix.
  • The acceptance is an "important early milestone," developer Daybreak Power said in a press release. If the project receives the required regulatory approvals, it could come online around 2030, aligning with ambitious renewables targets in Western states — "That is right, we believe, as the need for this sort of bulk storage is coming into full focus," Daybreak CEO Jim Day told Utility Dive.