Coal ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfitter

Jan 19, 2009
east central il
Has anybody got a clue where to buy some decent coal anywhere in east central Illinois or west central Indiana ? I bought some in Ridge Farm Il. but it has a lot of fines and I have to sift it through a screen to burn it. I am not opposed to driving 100 miles or so from Charleston Il.

Since no one else has replied...

I would think (given what little I know about such) you should probably be able to find bulk bituminous somewhere in your area... and bagged anthracite (maybe... or at least a lead to some) from a coal stove retailer nearby.

You will likely have better luck getting a definitive answer here:

http://www.nepadigital.com/bb/forum-55.html

Peter B.

-----

Peter B Thanks for the reply but believe me brother it ain't that simple. I called over 20 places and only one would even sell to the public and that's Black Beauty Coal in Ridge Farm Illinois. I belong to that other forum you listed, no help over there either. If you ask the stove dealers all you get is { nobody burns that stuff anymore }. There is an Amishman in Arthur Il. that sells bagged anthracite but at 306 dollars a ton it's a bit pricey. I can't believe that we live smack in the middle of some of the best bituminous coal country and nobody sells it. Looks to me like someone could start a heck of a business selling stoves and coal.

Status
Not open for further replies.