Code Enforcement Stopped By Today!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher101

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2009
Colorado
I had just broken out my new Fiskars Super Splitter to give it a try today on some 6 month old pine rounds when the Code Enforcement lady pulled up. At first I thought it was due to my 81' CJ5 that is unregistered that has been sitting in the driveway while the garage is full of new kitchen cabinets for my remodel.

Like a "DUMBA$$" I said "yeah I know the jeep is unregistered." She was very nice and said "WHAT JEEP???" with a smirk. She was very professional and stated that a neighbor had complained of the "unsightleyness"" of my wood pile and that it was visible from the road. Unfortunately the lot that my house sits on is VERY SMALL!!! and I would literally have to line the outside perimeter of it to keep it far enough from the house to meet "code."

I was very happy when she stated that the wood was in an orderly fashion and she did not consider it an "eye sore." She stated that the only rule that I should watch is that the wood (or any other non-structure) cannot be stacked higher than the 6 ft privacy fence.

I was also extremely pleased that 2 of my neighbors (including the one who shares the property line on which the wood is stacked) immediately came out and stated to the Code Lady that they did not mind the wood and that the "lazy ass who complained should get a life" (THANKS RON!!!)

Granted I do live in a nice neighborhood here in Colorado Springs. I make it a point to maintain my property and take great pride in my home and property. I was very impressed that Code Enforcement took the time to speak with myself and the neighbors and didn't write me some BS citation.

A WIN FOR THE WOOD BURNERS!!!

I didnt know there was any such thing as a building code determining where the wodpile can go? Other than the setback rules from the property line... ( is a woodpile a "structure" ? )

Yeah! That is a win! I worry about this all the time - we have a gimp who owns land (buildable lots) across the street from us BUT he doesn't live there. He complains to the city about everything!

Good news for you! :)

Shari

A nice fire will make you feel better.

At the neighbor's house!

I was trying to find anything related to a "code" for how close to a house a wood pile can be (recommendations abound though). Coudn't find anything. Good thing, since I live in a townhouse and basically only have a large deck to store wood. Okay, so no one come up with some law that bursts my bubble!

Darn government . . . always mucking around in others business . . . wait a minute . . . I am the government . . . and in this case government did the right thing . . . darn nosy neighbor. Of course we would be in a far better position to pass judgment on you if we had some pics of these wood stacks to oogle . . . yes . . . we all have a morbid fascination with dead wood . . . it's downright bizarre this fixation of ours. ;)

code compliance is just another form of taxing the people. whats the difference with a woodpile outside instead of inside anyhow. seems the one closest to the stove would be the most likely to catch fire.

maybe its time to move.

Glad it worked out for you. The village planner came after me 1 1/2 years ago with all kinds of "supposed" violations in regards to my wood pile. I didn't fight all of them and should have.

jharkin said:
I didnt know there was any such thing as a building code determining where the wodpile can go? Other than the setback rules from the property line... ( is a woodpile a "structure" ? )

In our town there is an ordinance about "outdoor solid fuel storage" (it applies to coal too)-all it really says is no woodpiles in the front yard, and keep it off your property line. Seems reasonable to me.

Badfish740 said:
jharkin said:

In our town there is an ordinance about "outdoor solid fuel storage" (it applies to coal too)-all it really says is no woodpiles in the front yard, and keep it off your property line. Seems reasonable to me.

why they want you to not stack it up to yoru property line?

glad to hear you've got good neighbors that will stick up for you. That certainly means a lot in this world. To many people are just f-ing petty and pitiful. (sorry, but not better way to describe them)

pen

All of this seems rather silly. Plainly put, it is fuel to heat your home the same way an LP tank in someone's yard is their fuel, or a fuel oil tank. But, knowing how folks in government offices think, they just want to have some power over others.... Rant done.

i've always enjoyed my times in colorado but when i hear about stuff like this, it makes me glad to live where i do! what is the problem with the neighbor??? good luck with that one

Glad it all worked out for you -thats why all my wood is covered by a big green tarp ,so its not an eye sore. Want to build a shed but then the TAX man will be knocking at my door! Gotta love it-

I currently have over 18 cords on my lot and will be 20 soon. My three closest neighbors don't mind at all but I have a neighbor down and across the street who absolutely hates my wood and complains about the critters I am bringing into the neighborhood. ?? I haven't talked to her since the second chimney appeared on my roof (and it looks really tall) but I am sure she is having a cow. I'm really hoping she won't end up raising a stink with the city but we will see.

i really hate most people

There's something to be said for living in the 'holler

Most of my neighbors have stoves.

Freaking gov't.... so intrusive anymore. I have to agree, that "code enforcement" should be called, "revenue stream division" in many areas of the country. I am glad my area and neighbors are pretty easy going about my "solid fuel storage". I never thought about it until this thread, I feel for those of you that have to deal with idiotic people on your block in your neighborhood that complain about such trivial things.

Put a clothesline up and start drying your clothes outside. Then you'll really get some complaints.

when i give directions to our house i always say " its the house with all the wood in the driveway. pete

Good to hear it worked out ok. I always figured if I had enough money for a house in a nice neighborhood, I'd have enough for a smaller house with no nieghbors. Yeah, it may be a 90-year old 900 sq ft "project", but I have no neighbors and can put my $%#$#ing wood wherever I darn well please! One of the few states where property rights are sacrosanct. Actually, one of the cities recently tried to pass a zoning law and it failed like crazy; around here a code enforcement officer would be a pretty hazardous job. I always figured CO was the same way though?

Backwoods Savage said:
All of this seems rather silly. Plainly put, it is fuel to heat your home the same way an LP tank in someone's yard is their fuel, or a fuel oil tank. But, knowing how folks in government offices think, they just want to have some power over others.... Rant done.

I agree . . . silly and foolish thinking.

But let's add the word "some" in front of "folks in government offices" and "some folks" in place of "they" . . . not all folks in government lack common sense and are in it for the power trip. Some do what they do in the hope of doing good and serving the public . . . of course we also do what we do for the weekly paycheck as well.

Well I might as jump on the bandwagon . . . I'm happy to live where I do . . . not because of the government . . . but because the neighbors either burn wood or don't care that I burn wood since it truly has been and continues to be a way of life and so no one bats an eye about your woodpile in the front yard or the supposed death, destruction and mayhem (and critters) that having a woodpile will supposedly bring to the neighborhood. I mean sheesh . . . you would think in some of these communities having a stack of wood in your yard is the harbinger to the Apocalypse and you are one of the Four Horsemen bringing pest and plague by stacking your wood in a neat pile. ;)

Good comment FFJ, and true - not everyone that works for The Man is trying to keep us down :0

Not sure how this illustrates problems with government officials? Sounds like the OP has one nosey, pushy,everyone-should-live-as-I-say type neighbor and at least two reasonable, friendly, stand-up type neighbors.
I assume any 'codes' invovled here would be local by-laws? Good reminder to stay informed & involved in local gov't, otherwise the everyone-should-live-as-I-say types will have their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.