dotman17 likes this.
  3. dotman17

dotman17
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Everett, WA
    I can't get those out here on the west side of the Cascades.

4. george255

george255
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    North Idaho
    Thanks for the heads up on the hot buy, that is a pretty good deal to consider. Unfortunately purcell is not one of my favorites due to the large amount of ash buildup that I have experienced in the past. North 40 Outfitters here in CDA, ID. has a fairly new pellet product that I ran into today, their called Rocky Canyon Ultra Premium Red Fir Pellets and their $3.99 per bag ( not sure about $$ per ton ) I bought 6 bags today to try out, i'll post again as to how they perform. I'm pretty much sold on the North Idaho pellet, that's usually the only brand of pellets I burn so this will be interesting to see how Rocky Canyon pellets compare to the North Idaho pellets.

5. dotman17

dotman17
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Everett, WA
    I was in McCall about a month ago and ran into that pellet. They wanted $255 for a pallet but delivered anywhere in town for less than $10. So if you ordered multiple pallets, it'd still only cost you less than $10.

6. george255

george255
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    North Idaho
    Well now that's one hell of a deal ,delivery service for only $ 10.00 If I could find that here in Coeur D'Alene I would jump on that.
    So i'm currently burning off the last of my north idaho pellets in my hopper so I can refill with the Rocky Canyon red fir pellets and see how they perform heat wise and also see what kind of ash mess they make.I'm really liking the price of the Rocky Canyon pellets, I'm kinda hoping they out perform the North Idaho brand.

7. dotman17

dotman17
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Everett, WA
    Please let us know. I believe they're a fir mix just like North Idahos.

8. george255

george255
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    North Idaho
    Ok people, i'm burning a bag of the rocky canyon pellets right now and monitoring the heat output thru the convection fan tubes coming out of the front of the stove. So far I have seen a slight climb in temp by 4 - 5 deg. compared to the North Idaho Pellets. The North Idaho ran about 143 -147 deg. when the temps stabilized. The Rocky Canyon Pellets went up to 150 deg. and are now holding at 142 deg. after burning for at least 1 hour.
    As far as the ash build up, it's to early to tell. So what i'm looking at right now, the heat output of the rocky canyon only differs by maybe + or - 5 deg.compared to the north idaho pellets. I'll re post after burning 2 bags and let you know what kind of a ash mess I ended up with.

dotman17 likes this.
  9. george255

george255
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    North Idaho
    Rocky Canyon Red Fir Pellet ash update. Ok people, i'm starting in on my 2nd bag of the red fir pellets, ( sorry this has taken more time than I had anticipated, it's not exactly freezing cold up here in North Idaho yet. ) Anyway, after burning the first bag the ash resembles that of Lignetics with it's light grey to white color and very low coverage and buildup inside the stove. I think we might be on to something here @ $3.99 per bag. I will update again.

10. MacSierra

MacSierra
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 30, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern Nevada
    Has anybody Golden Fire pellets? I don't know if it's a fluke or what but they seem to be burning hotter and cleaner than other pellets I've tried over the last 25 years or so in Northern Nevada...

11. george255

george255
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    North Idaho
    I haven't tried The Golden Fire Pellets yet but I hear their supposed to be a prime pellet made up of 100% Douglas fir. I don't know about 100% or not, I always question that? They stock them at my neighborhood Lowes and are a bit pricey @ $ 5.79 per 40lb. bag. I might try 5 bags and see how they perform but for right now Rocky Canyon Red Fir Pellets @ $ 3.99 per bag an my local North 40 Outfitters is by far a better bargain and will be my new choice for pellet fuel. New ash update coming soon.. 733251973273.jpg