Coffee before lighting stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
As the title say's... lit my stove this morning and after 45 min i had next to no flame or heat output.. Started grabbing my tools and was getting ready to tear the thing down thinking i had a blockage or something failed. Finished my coffee and looked at the clock and realized the power had went out last night resetting the stove back down to low.. Dohhh sure helps when you turn the stove back up...

LOL always finish coffee FIRST! I don't even break the tools out till i stare at it for a few smoking my cancer stick.

LOL i gotta smoke my cancer sticks outside... i may have figured it out sooner if i smoked in the house..

I lived with some folks for a few months that smoked in their house. It's awful, don't do it. I used to smoke, but I never smoked inside a place I cared about. Regardless of what it does to your own health and those around you, it wrecks your house.

My house was built by my sweat and blood. i been smoking for 50 years. no plans on ever selling it and i'm to damn old to change now lol;)

Reactions: Connecticut Yankee
Lol....

I quit smoking in my house when my x got pregnant. I really don't miss it in the house now that I don't do it... especially after I repainted and seen what color white was..lol...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My mom smoked her whole life. Spent 33yrs smoking in the house I grew up in before she passed away. After dad passed, we had to clean out and sell the house. Took pictures and things off the walls, you could see the difference. Walls and ceilings were actually shiny with nicotine. Behind a couple big pieces, there were runs of nicotine down walls.
A very good friend cleans for a living, his own business. Windows, atms, bank vaults. He couldn't find anything to remove it.
Finally found a primer that would cover it, and stay. For $50 a gallon.

My grandma and grandpa did the same for 30-40 years... we ended up gutting the house... it was paneling

LOL always finish coffee FIRST! I don't even break the tools out till i stare at it for a few smoking my cancer stick.

I hear ya on that. I won’t even open the tool chest until I’ve polished off at least a pint of shine and half a stogie. If I suspect it’s going to be a tedious repair, I usually bum some of the Misses medical weed to take the edge off the licker. Only then have I had sufficient time to ponder the problem and devise a fix.

Reactions: Ssyko
Haha I need some of that today. Found out after work today I had a bad hub in my truck. Make it to the parts store before closing. Spend a hour trying to find my tools some at work some at home.. another 1/2 hour getting bolts out. Get to last bolt to find the previous owner stripped the head. 10 min grinding it off. All in the dark and snowing.. only to realize what's the point... nothing is open

Said goodbye to another friend who smoked all his life and died from lung cancer. We all sounded invincible when we were younger. I quit 9 years ago and have COPD. I too couldn't quit until I figured out what benefit is there in smoking. Sounds funny but write down all the good things smoking does for you and after that write down how much you spend in a year on smokes.
Doesn't it seem strange that if you are a two pack a day man you can spend 18.00 a day on smoking without a whimper but scream when you have to pay 6 dollars a day for a bag of pellets to heat your house?

Said goodbye to another friend who smoked all his life and died from lung cancer. We all sounded invincible when we were younger. I quit 9 years ago and have COPD. I too couldn't quit until I figured out what benefit is there in smoking. Sounds funny but write down all the good things smoking does for you and after that write down how much you spend in a year on smokes.
Doesn't it seem strange that if you are a two pack a day man you can spend 18.00 a day on smoking without a whimper but scream when you have to pay 6 dollars a day for a bag of pellets to heat your house?

Well their is a statement i do not agree with 100% 40 years ago everyone smoked and never heard of people getting cancer from it... But look at the preservatives and everything that goes into our foods and such now and look how many people are sick any dying.. Everyone i know that has dies of cancer have been smoke free all their life and lived a healthy life. I blame it more on what we eat then i do the smoking but everyone jumps on the smoking band wagon and blames us smokers.. My grandma and grandpa were 3 pack a day people and died of old age...

My mother smoked her whole life, so did both her parents. She died of a heart attack, after yrs of high cholesterol that couldn't be controlled. Her mother died of old age, but was starting to show lung cancer. Her father was finally convinced to stop smoking, well into his 60s, after a lung test showed his lungs were clean as a baby's. He had started smoking at 12, chain smoking unfiltered cigarettes for decades. He died of old age.
My father never smoked, never drank. In fact, all he ever drank was water, milk, and occasionally tea or a soda.
He fought several types of cancer for a decade and a half before losing to lymphoma.

My opinion, we all have cancer. For each of us, something will awaken it. Unfortunately, don't know what that is, so some us awaken it, and some don't.

Reactions: Mt Bob
My fateher died at 95 with the lungs of a 30 year old, that was the statement from his doctor of 20 yr’s. And had smoked since he was 10. Are they good for ya, no it is toxic chemicals. But many out there Drink, and that is not only bad for the body but others as well. And i get preached at from my doctors every time i go. As a 60 year old that has twisted wrenches and a back or twice i’ll do pretty much what i want when i want.:p

After smoking for 45 yrs I decided it was time to quit . It was high time to do the right thing.
Of course there are a few smokers who don`t suffer the fate of most smokers but chances are definitely not in your favor.
Until you make the effort to control your mind and use common sense , you will continue to make excuses for not quitting and in the end you almost always will pay dearly .
I`m living with a slight but manageable case of COPD and feel lucky at that but certainly I`m glad that I quit 20 yrs ago.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Well their is a statement i do not agree with 100% 40 years ago everyone smoked and never heard of people getting cancer from it... But look at the preservatives and everything that goes into our foods and such now and look how many people are sick any dying.. Everyone i know that has dies of cancer have been smoke free all their life and lived a healthy life. I blame it more on what we eat then i do the smoking but everyone jumps on the smoking band wagon and blames us smokers.. My grandma and grandpa were 3 pack a day people and died of old age...

You do realize that that years ago more people died of heart attacks and other diseases first. People were more physicaly active back then too. 40 years ago everyone smoked never heard of anyone getting cancer from it?? What kind of statement is that? How old are you? 1980 Stewardesses in airplanes were suing to create a smoke free environment for their jobs. Its a strange thing but can you tell me of anyone that said they wished they smoked more during their life?

Reactions: jp99 and SpaceBus
Ok lets let put the smoking or not smoking, cancer causing or not to rest. Everyone has an opinion and none of us are qualified to determine what is fact or fiction.

Reactions: Connecticut Yankee
People who are qualified have spoken and said smoking is harmful. Lucky to those that haven't had issue from it. Most people do have issues from smoking, even if it isn't lung cancer or COPD. Human lungs are not evolved or designed to inhale smoke.

haha in the 80's i remember the stewardesses smoking on the plane with us.. That should give you a idea of a age..

So is the obesity problem and drugs( that are also handed out like candy from said experts) which is costing the masses millions. Is it my choice to smoke yes it is, im burning one now. I dont preach to those that drink or the ppl that order 3 big mac’s and a diet coke. Just don’t preach to me is all i ask. Stepping down from soap box

So is the obesity problem and drugs( that are also handed out like candy from said experts) which is costing the masses millions. Is it my choice to smoke yes it is, im burning one now. I dont preach to those that drink or the ppl that order 3 big mac’s and a diet coke. Just don’t preach to me is all i ask. Stepping down from soap box

Exactly.....

How about in my province the Gov is building all these brand new apartments/shelter for the homeless..Well in my area the homeless are self inflicted. I feel like quitting my job, selling everything and going and live of the street where i can get a free new apartment and money to live. While i continue to live on the street begging for hand outs so i can go get my next bottle of beer...

how about the drug dealers that are living like kings that have never had a office bang on their door in 20 or so years..

How about the latest one... Everyone complanes about smoking but half those people that complane voted to legalize pot?

HAHAHA

Have you ever met a homeless person? They generally have mental issues and self medicate with alcohol and narcotics. Nicotine is a drug as well and smoking is self medicating. Trust me, there's a reason people go homeless, and it's not because they want to sleep on the street. Being homeless is not a pleasant experience. If it is so amazing and easy, why do most people choose to live in homes? You've condemned all homeless people because someone told you to. Don't just trust the opinions of a few people to steer your own. Go out and experience things first hand. Maybe you will see that not everything is black and white, or even what you thought it was in the first place.

At least someone smoking weed is not also smoking rat poison, arsenic, and a million other toxins. I quit smoking about a month ago after smoking for ten years, I usually dipped as well as smoked until I was about 21. Surprisingly I quit smoking and dipping in Afghanistan, but picked up smoking again when I found out I was dying. Some how I'm still alive, and after almost dying again and a week in the hospital I quit smoking, hopefully this time forever.

I contracted some kind of horrible autoimmune disease while in the Army. For several years I tried to find a way to get better and stay in the Army. For a time it seemed the condition had gone into remission, for good. Obviously this was not the case and I was medically retired. If the military had just let me out without any sort of medical benefits or pension, I would be homeless.

Yes i have met and dealt with our homeless people in my town and its the lifestyle they choose not a mental issue... Their are lots of people out their with serious mental and health issues that are not homeless and are active responsible members of their community. Yes being a alcoholic is a disease and a hard one to brake but people do it every day...
Your telling me to go experience it first hand... I have done so with drugs, alcohol, and being homeless so please do not tell me to go experience it first hand as i have been their and experienced it all... I worked my butt off to get out of that place in my life working 3 jobs and going most weeks with only a few hours of sleep.

I have the upmost respect for any one that has been part of the army no matter what county they are from.

This is my opinion to each their own..

Reactions: rona and johneh