collar to stove pipe gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mweissman

Oct 18, 2021
I have a jotul F400 stove, 6" single wall comes down to collar. it does not seat well and has gaps.
I typically take out pipe for cleaning stove to vacuum inside from collar.
do I need a collar adapter?
should I try to crimp pipe more to see if seats better?
thanks
messages_0 (1).jpeg

Is the pipe bottoming out on a ledge inside the flue collar? If so, try carefully cutting off 1/2" of the end of the pipe so that it can seat deeper. Mark off the 1/2" and use a right or left aviation sheer, don't try cutting it with a straight sheer (yellow handle).

If you hold a match next to the gap does it suck the flame/smoke in? I'll let the experts chime in but as long as the draft is good, the stove is performing and the flue is under negative pressure do these small gaps matter?

If you hold a match next to the gap does it suck the flame/smoke in? I'll let the experts chime in but as long as the draft is good, the stove is performing and the flue is under negative pressure do these small gaps matter?
I tried to crimp pipe to squeeze in deeper, it just made gaps worse. I was able to get round again, and it seats too high, so may try the cut bottom edge off next.
When stove hot, all is good, smoke goes up pipe, but when smoldering or not burning we can get a backdraft issue, and can smell smoke or soot especially when furnace or dryer may be running. we live at bottom of canyon, so low pressure anyway.
I would like to be able to clean stove pipe without removing it to get to vacuum inside of stove, then I can seal pipe with cement if needed. I saw in another post to remove secondary air top, then can leave pipe in place. worried I won't be able to get back in easily:)

not sure if hitting bottom ledge or just too wide in couple spots, will take a look, thanks
What did you find? Is there a ledge inside the flue collar stopping deeper penetration?

As noted, recrimping is the opposite way to go. What is the exact ID of the flue collar?

What did you find? Is there a ledge inside the flue collar stopping deeper penetration?

As noted, recrimping is the opposite way to go. What is the exact ID of the flue collar?
The collar has a slight angle towards inside, just enough to keep pipe from sliding in fully. no ledge or obstruction. Do not have ID but collar is standard for jotul f400. besides what I mentioned above to cut pipe, or use some kind of seal, I will also go buy as new pipe and see if fits in better(or return it if not).

With that small gap I would either use some flat gasket or stove cement if it can be left screwed in place.

My Jotul had the same issue. Trimming a little off the bottom (crimped end) definitely helped it to seat on the rib. I didn’t have crimpers so I tried the trimming suggestion. The Jotul collar slopes from back to front. This keeps the pipe from seating fully. Trimming it shorter keeps it off the slopping area.

Reactions: begreen
My wood stove has a visible gap ( can see the flame) at the junction of the stove opening ( on top) and where the vertical pipe slides in. I've tried high heat stove cement to seal it but it dried up & fell away. I had some door gasket cord left & tried attaching that but could smell it as the pipe/fire got hotter. Was concerned so removed it. Is there a metal collar/fitting/part I can buy that can be wrapped around the pipe to seal this gap. I smell smoke sometimes that I suspect is leaking from there. My pipe heads vertically (about 2') to a 45° bend, then 20" horizontally out through the wall. The damper is inside the vertical 2' pipe and the stove has a metal baffle inside. Stove cement hasn't worked. Willing to purchase a "collar" if it exists. Any help?

My wood stove has a visible gap ( can see the flame) at the junction of the stove opening ( on top) and where the vertical pipe slides in. I've tried high heat stove cement to seal it but it dried up & fell away. I had some door gasket cord left & tried attaching that but could smell it as the pipe/fire got hotter. Was concerned so removed it. Is there a metal collar/fitting/part I can buy that can be wrapped around the pipe to seal this gap. I smell smoke sometimes that I suspect is leaking from there. My pipe heads vertically (about 2') to a 45° bend, then 20" horizontally out through the wall. The damper is inside the vertical 2' pipe and the stove has a metal baffle inside. Stove cement hasn't worked. Willing to purchase a "collar" if it exists. Any help?
Pictures would help

Oversized flue? Not sure what you mean. 🤔 This pipe is not crimped.
You increase the size of the pipe at the stove. That means the pipe is to large and probably dumps into an even larger clay liner correct?

I assumed that adapter was male end down. Because the top is female

You increase the size of the pipe at the stove. That means the pipe is to large and probably dumps into an even larger clay liner correct?

I assumed that adapter was male end down. Because the top is female
There isn't an adapter. Just the cast iron opening which is part of the stove. The pipe fits into the opening (male to female.) That is where the gap occurs. The wall pipe fits into a clay flue inside a concrete block chimney. I don't believe it's larger than the pipe diameter. Is there such a part as a metal "collar" that would be able to wrap around the connection of the pipe and stove opening, thereby, sealing the gap?

This would seem to fit OVER my stove opening, correct? ( I will have to do an exact measurement. ) I saw another 'recommended' one listed that appears crimped & would slide INTO the opening, correct? THAT one, it seems, would perhaps leave the possibility for a similar gap? Sorry for the many questions but I am a (not so PIPE savvy) woman trying to fix this issue on my own. Thanks very much for this help.🙂

It will slip into the stove collar as well as over it.
Is that a high heat sealer and if so has it solved your problem?

It will slip into the stove collar as well as over it.
Is that a high heat sealer and if so has it solved your problem?
It IS supposed to be high temp(Rutland 500° I believe) but, when I used it before, it eventually crumbled and failed. There IS direct flame visible at the joint so VERY hot. Once I do exact measurements, if this collar will fit OVER the stove opening and the stove pipe INTO it, it MAY finally solve the issue. Thanks. Rose

It IS supposed to be high temp(Rutland 500° I believe) but, when I used it before, it eventually crumbled and failed. There IS direct flame visible at the joint so VERY hot. Once I do exact measurements, if this collar will fit OVER the stove opening and the stove pipe INTO it, it MAY finally solve the issue. Thanks. Rose
Is that RTV? If so, the flue collar gets too hot for RTV. It can get much hotter than 500º.

I don't know what RTV is but, clearly, it doesn't hold up so MUCH higher than 500°
RTV is a high-temperature silicone sealant/adhesive.