Color of hot flame by wood species

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rideau

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
southern ontario
Jusr curious about the experience of others. For me:

Sugar maple = green flames
Ironwood = blue flames
Beech - yellow, clear
Paper Birch = white, brilliant
Hickory = blue

I concur on the Beech. Never burned the others. Locust is bluish .

Was getting some decent blues out of some cherry yesterday. Tried to capture it in a pic.

20130226_190332.jpg

Dark orange from pine the past few days
A few splts of white oak and I'm getting blues/purples this evening.
Only time I saw green was a knarly pecan crotch that required manipulation from the stihl to fit after I mangled it with the splitter

After the initial surface burn-off of yellow flame, the gauzy thin blue flame that hovers above red oak is pretty. Just dial down the primary air good in a cat stove.

I like coming down to the kitchen first thing in the morning to a nice thick bed of locust coals (actually they're giant coals that are still in log form...)
After breaking them up with the poker/rake and pulling them to the front, you get that deep, rich red in the heart of the coals, and the nice tall blue flames off of them.......something patriotic about that red and blue.......

Reactions: tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.