Colored Clinkers? (lets see your clinker?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

The Fahrenheit Furnace burns just about anything equally. Because it auto-cleans, I only see the ash or clinker when I empty the ash pan.

Emptied it today and found some colored (blue and green) clinkers on the top. I have been burning Ligs Green labels (majority), Presto Logs, and Somersets for the most part. But warmer weather has brought me back to getting rid of my Easy Heats. I just started burning them Friday night and these were the only clinkers in the entire pan. They burn fine, house is 73° right now. They are not huge and break apart pretty easy. They are broken as the Fahrenheits Pusher system, pushes them out of the pot and into the pan.

Clinkers are rarely talked about or posted. There have been some good examples of clinkers posted. But does anyone have any pics of there own??

So, lets see you pics?? Anybody got any good ones??

Attachments

• clinker1.jpg
    clinker1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 995
  • clinker2.jpg
    clinker2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 938
  • clinker3.jpg
    clinker3.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1,909
Those sure are purty! That's crazy, I wonder what's in the pellets to cause the color?

I have none to show. Haven't had any of that in years.
Actually only got them when I added corn to the mix
which I experimented with the first year then decided
it wasn't helping any.

This isnt a Bottom feed vs Top feed issue. Its 100% pellet related.

I have not burned these in awhile. Was just trying to get rid of them.

Dad stopped by this.evening and I was thinking about giving him my last ton of these pellets. He was so excited. They seem to burn well in his 25-PDV. Seeing how I gave him the stove for Free (I traded an old Timberline wood stove for it this past Summer) all he did was buy the vent kit ($200) and a Hearth pad from my Fahrenheit dealer (gave him one for $40!!!!, a nice corner unit). They have almost used a full tank of Propane so far (normally use 3 per Winter). They only use it when they are home and when sleeping. It goes off during the day and they keep the LP t-stat at 60°… On level 3 it doesnt take long to get his house over 80°…

So he stoked about getting them. I am stoked too... That means I need some replacements!! ;-P

Pretty colors! Maybe our little green buddy was fondling your pellets whens you were'nt looking and some of that green stuff rubbed off?

Never trust a litle green dude or leave him alone with your pellets!!! :cheese:

Never trust someone who can't spell little. ;-)

Nevermind if I was fondling his pellets. :lol:

slvrblkk said:
Those sure are purty! That's crazy, I wonder what's in the pellets to cause the color?

Various minerals, usually blue is associated with copper compounds.

Bottom feeders frequently push the ash out before much of a clinker can form.

SmokeyTheBear said:

That's what I was wondering. I get clumps of ash on the sides of my burnpot that get to be about 1" in diameter but they fall apart real easily when I go to scrape the burnpot a couple times a day.

oldmountvernon said:
mepellet said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

That's what I was wondering. I get clumps of ash on the sides of my burnpot that get to be about 1" in diameter but they fall apart real easily when I go to scrape the burnpot a couple times a day.

a couple times a day? ewwww, just loading pellets seems to have become a chore lol

lol. I hear you on that one. I am ready for spring. I don't need to scrape daily but I still do.

DexterDay said:
This isnt a Bottom feed vs Top feed issue. Its 100% pellet related. P

Really? In my stove it's about air. If I run too little air, any of the pellets I have tried will leave deposits of some sort in the burn pot. Enough air for the pellet and it's all good. Yes, it varies from brand to brand, but so do pellet size, volatility and rate-of-burn, which all effect air demand for good pot clearance... (this is a top-feeder; simple critter).

midfielder said:
DexterDay said:

Really? In my stove it's about air. If I run too little air, any of the pellets I have tried will leave deposits of some sort in the burn pot. Enough air for the pellet and it's all good. Yes, it varies from brand to brand, but so do pellet size, volatility and rate-of-burn, which all effect air demand for good pot clearance... (this is a top-feeder; simple critter).

Assuming you have enough available air flow to actually handle the ash produced by the pellet.

Some pellets produce very dense ash and some stoves can not handle those pellets.

You need ash, residency time, the correct temperature, and the correct mineral content to produce a decent clinker.

SmokeyTheBear said:
midfielder said:
DexterDay said:

Assuming you have enough available air flow to actually handle the ash produced by the pellet.

Some pellets produce very dense ash and some stoves can not handle those pellets.

You need ash, residency time, the correct temperature, and the correct mineral content to produce a decent clinker.

The pot auto cleans every 9 hrs. So its not in there that long. These are the only pellet to produce any type of clinker. Although these are not hard and break apart easily. I am probably giving the pot more air than it needs. After owning amd watching how a Quadrafire burns. I try to make the flame as vivacious as possible.

The furnace is on low burn for majority of the day. But any other pellet I have burned has not created this. Even when my combustion blower was failing and not burning correctly. Only this brand and it doesn't matter the setting.

Dad cleans his stove daily and scrapes the pot out (ashes) once or twice while running. He doesn't let it harbor long enough to create one. Thats why he is Happy to get them. His B-Day is next month. So this is his early present. I saved them about $2,000 this year in LP. So I say he made out pretty good his 1st year with a free stove. Between the venting, pad, and pellets he bought, he is in it for $500. He loves that stove. But he will admit, my Mom can light it faster than him
She caught on rather quickly.

Could I burn these pellets? Yes. The stove cleans itself often enough where it wouldn't be an issue. But giving them to my parents will make them happy and also clears room in the garage for another ton or 4....... So its a Win/Win situation.

DexterDay said:
This isnt a Bottom feed vs Top feed issue. Its 100% pellet related.

I have not burned these in awhile. Was just trying to get rid of them.

Dad stopped by this.evening and I was thinking about giving him my last ton of these pellets. He was so excited. They seem to burn well in his 25-PDV. Seeing how I gave him the stove for Free (I traded an old Timberline wood stove for it this past Summer) all he did was buy the vent kit ($200) and a Hearth pad from my Fahrenheit dealer (gave him one for $40!!!!, a nice corner unit). They have almost used a full tank of Propane so far (normally use 3 per Winter). They only use it when they are home and when sleeping. It goes off during the day and they keep the LP t-stat at 60°… On level 3 it doesnt take long to get his house over 80°…

So he stoked about getting them. I am stoked too... That means I need some replacements!! ;-P

Dude, you got it bad. Your excited about giving away pellets so you can go buy more. :lol:

Dude, you got it bad. Your excited about giving away pellets so you can go buy more. :lol:[/quote]

If you had a ton of " cheasy heats", you'd be excited to get rid of them, too! ;-)

Brewer said:
Dude, you got it bad. Your excited about giving away pellets so you can go buy more. :lol:

If you had a ton of " cheasy heats", you'd be excited to get rid of them, too! ;-)[/quote]

Yep ;-P

Burning for 4 years, and never had a clinker.... just ashes...

Status
Not open for further replies.