Combuster replacement question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 10, 2018
PA
I’m replacing the combuster in my Englander 24-ACD as I type this. The new combuster (from Condar) came wrapped in what looks like masking tape type tape. Do I remove that before installing or leave that on?

A4A8EFA5-A9A8-4B08-823E-EEBB9E4605D6.jpeg

I don't know the clearance for the cat in your stove, but in my stove we have a gasket to seal around the cat, and we tape that in place when we slide in the cat. The tape will burn off.

So, if you have a gasket, I'd leave the tape. If not, then I don't see a reason to leave it other than if it might be hard to get off.

Reactions: Snowsurfer9896
I don't know the clearance for the cat in your stove, but in my stove we have a gasket to seal around the cat, and we tape that in place when we slide in the cat. The tape will burn off.

So, if you have a gasket, I'd leave the tape. If not, then I don't see a reason to leave it other than if it might be hard to get off.
I should have mentioned. There is a gasket around it. I’ll leave it on and get this back together. Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

Reactions: stoveliker
I’m replacing the combuster in my Englander 24-ACD as I type this. The new combuster (from Condar) came wrapped in what looks like masking tape type tape. Do I remove that before installing or leave that on?

View attachment 303689
Snowsurfer9896 what size is this? I have same stove but says 3 inches in manual and the housing unit we ordered is about 2 inches in the interior… does your combustor sit higher than the housing unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Snowsurfer9896 what size is this? I have same stove but says 3 inches in manual and the housing unit we ordered is about 2 inches in the interior… does your combustor sit higher than the housing unit?
Hi! The combustor is 6 inch diameter and 3 inches tall. Yes, the combuster sits higher than the housing unit. I’ll attach a photo I took before I put it all back together. Feel free to reach out if you need any other info! I had to replace the bolts a few years ago. I should have the paperwork somewhere with the sizes.

842D2178-6181-4F10-833A-9D1FA9CCC483.jpeg

Reactions: begreen and jaykay
Hi! The combustor is 6 inch diameter and 3 inches tall. Yes, the combuster sits higher than the housing unit. I’ll attach a photo I took before I put it all back together. Feel free to reach out if you need any other info! I had to replace the bolts a few years ago. I should have the paperwork somewhere with the sizes.

View attachment 304037
Oh my gosh. You are a serious life saver.

Oh my gosh. You are a serious life saver.

View attachment 304037

Is this where you bought it from? Did you buy the expanding one? Having a hard time finding one without the steel. Looking for the ceramic

Reactions: jaykay