Combustion blower cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StoveMiser

Jan 15, 2008
Western NY
How often do you guys clean out the combustion blower? Im burning 24 hours a day and about 1 ton/month. What is a normal cleaning interval. Manual says every ton, but I thought that sounded excessive. How hard is it to pull apart on a breckwell?

It would depend somewhat on how much ash the pellets make. I clean mine twice a year. As I use a little over 3 tons a year, that's about 1 1/2 tons between cleanings. Last year I used Dry Creek and the blower wasn't too bad and I could of gone the entire year. This year I'm using Cubex which develop much more ash and I just tore my stove apart last night for it's mid-winter cleaning and the combustion blower fins were fairly clean but the chamber was caked with ash and it was definitely time for the cleaning.

Not sure with yours but my Countryside opens up entirely along both sides like peeling a banana. It sure makes things easy. Even if yours isn't so easy to get to I find the best way to clean out stuff like this is with compressed air from my air compressor. It stirs things up and gets into places rags can't. I just blew out the motors for mine last week for the first time this year and all sorts of crud came out of there.

Most Breckwells you can see the Blower through the Ash clean outs in the stove.
Make sure you dont bend the blades when you clean in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.