Compare Lennox Country Canyon 310 and Blaze King - King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillier23

Jan 9, 2015
Illinois
Hello, pretty new here and wanted opinions on a direct comparison of the Lennox Country Canyon 310 and the Blaze King - King model stoves. Both are free standing models.

What I have gathered so far is that the King can be loaded with a 12" 2x4 soft pine and it'll heat for three months without reloading. Ok, maybe not that long but they have a very long burn time given the right fuel.
- They are catalytic stoves
- They have a Bi-Metal thermostat that will reduce peaks in heat and extend burns.
- Large box 4+ cu.ft.
- Reputable company and parts should be available for a while.
- Price is higher, around $3,000

The Lennox Canyon I am having some trouble finding reviews and real world users. Here is what I know so far:
- Solid built stove
- 3+ cu.ft. box
- Secondary Burn EPA stove without a catalyst
- Lennox has parts available, but have sold the hearth products.
- Price is $1750

I do not mind spending the extra cash if the performance of the BK is that much better than the Lennox stove. My primary concern is that I will not be able to leave during the week and expect the gal to keep the stove running easily. Ease of use and the longest burn is what I'm after, Cat or secondary burn does not matter to me as long as it works easily. I already have two years of wood drying out, poor fuel will not be an issue.

Here is where I ask for real world experience or reviews of each stove, even better if you've had contact with both. Thanks for the info in advance.

I have the Blaze King Ashford 30 instead of the King, but from what you describe, I think the King is going to be the better choice for you over just about any secondary burn stove. The Blaze Kings just run low and steady for long periods of time, and the King is the largest and longest burning. About as close to a furnace with a thermostat as you can get in a wood stove. My wife loves it because she knows she can leave the house for the entire day, and when she gets home at night it will still be heating the house. I have very dry wood and plenty of chimney, but it could not be any easier to operate for your gal. Get the fire going, load it up, and when the cat temperature goes into the active zone, close the by-pass damper. I have never had any issues with stalling of the cat once it gets into the active zone.

If you do not mind the appearance of it and can work with the 8" flue, it is going to be the best stove for you.

Flu size won't be an issue, it's a new install with plenty of room. I was thinking the King would be the best choice, but the price of the Canyon was really appealing.

Somewhere in between will be the Woodstock Ideal Steel if the price of the King is a bit too high for your liking. Firebox is closer to the Canyon but with its hybrid stove design it can be burned on low for a more steady heat output. Its 6" flue will also come a bit cheaper. Do you actually know your heating load? What is your current heating source and how much fuel do you use in a cold month like January?

My wife really likes the control of the blaze king. Being able to turn the knob and watch the box full of hell go dark. I feel most comfortable in that respect, too. I'm gone for work a lot, and her having an issue she can't handle is just something I never have to worry about.

I ran the Lennox Country Performer 210, the little brother to the Canyon 310. I'm now running a Princess, the little uh, well daughter to the King.

The Lennox Country line of stoves are very well made and ours heated our home for a few years with zero maintenance issues and a surprisingly clean flue.

Lennox took over the Country brand line of stoves and some people fear they will be scrapped so that could be part of the reason there don't seem to be many folks running these stoves.

That being said, this is my first season with the BK so not a ton of experience with it yet. So far it is easy to operate. Easier for my wife than the Lennox since there's not much more to it than open bypass, load it, wait til cat is in active zone then close bypass, a few minutes later set the thermostat where you want it.

Really not any easier or harder to establish a fire in the cat stove vs the tube stove but my wife always worried the tube stove would run away on her, especially if she would need to leave the house just after loading it. The BK is very well behaved in this respect.

For me, the long, even heat of the BK just can't be beat. Whether it's 24 hour burns in the shoulder season or 12 hour burns in the dead of winter. It just does a better job heating our home and on less wood.

IHP's IronStrike line took over the Country line of stoves from Lennox. The Canyon is a large, well made steel stove that offers high value. They are made locally in Auburn, WA.
http://ironstrike.us.com/products/canyon-310

I hope that whatever IHP does with the Country line works out well for the folks in Auburn. As you said, the folks there make a quality product but seem to lack support and innovation.

Though not flashy, they make a good product and have been smart not to change it except for incremental minor improvements. The Grandview line is fairly new though. If they are to continue under the new EPA regs expect to see innovation on all fronts from most stove makers.

Reactions: tarzan
Status
Not open for further replies.