Comparing Flue Pipes...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NateH

Nov 19, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am in the process of purchasing my pipe... the only problem, I am completely overwhelmed with the choices, and not just the different brands, but the choices within choices! For instance, DuraVent offers several different lines which make me scratch my head a bit. There's DuraTech, DuraPlus, whether or not to go with Stainless vs Galvanized... plus, I'm wondering why on the Woodstovepro site they offer a 36" DuraPlus Stainless pipe for $171.75 then they offer another 36" DuraPlus Stainless pipe for $183.78... WHY??? And they do the same thing for their DuraTech line... same maker, same line, same size, same material but DIFFERENT prices???

Likewise, Selkirk offers black double wall pipe in the DCC line and also DSP... the Woodstovepro site does not explain the differences, unless I'm missing something??? Ultimately I assume one is a superior product, but which?

Finally, how does Home Depot offer all of the same products for a fraction of the price? Read lots of reviews and there were many, many complaints about dents, and damaged parts... I guess if you order through Home Depot, you are going to get the DuraVent castoffs???

Any help and clarification would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

I know chimney pipe is expensive, but in the Duravent line my recommendation is to get DuraTech and not DuraPlus. It's a better pipe and smaller overall diameter. Galvalume is ok in an attic or chase, but I'd go stainless for exterior use.

Just a guess, but Selkirk DCC appears to be a more universal fitment while DSP is their proprietary design.

Give the folks at Woodstovepro a call and ask for Sean for questions on their stock.

Thanks begreen. My local dealer, whom I bought my stove from (Jotul 500), sells DuraTech and I need to have him give me a quote to compare prices.

If I buy DuraTech pipe, can I install DuraPlus wall hangers, etc to save money? I guess I should just call Woodstove pro and have them answer these questions.

I think you'll need to use the DuraTech wall hangers. DuraPlus is a different diameter than DuraTech.

From reading countless other posts, it sounds like Champion, Excel, Ventis are all going to cost more money? Actually I think two of them are actually the same...

should I steer clear of Selkirk and other lesser known brands?

I have only had limited experience with Selkirk and none with their Ultra-Temp pipe. What I didn't like in the Selkirk that I dealt with was a folded seam that allowed water to wick in past the storm collar no matter how well one sealed it. The final solution was to run a bead of silicone up the seam for the full pipe length that passed through the storm collar. If that problem has been eliminated it should be ok. Folks that have an exterior chimney run may not experience this.

Likewise, Selkirk offers black double wall pipe in the DCC line and also DSP... the Woodstovepro site does not explain the differences, unless I'm missing something??? Ultimately I assume one is a superior product, but which?

I called the technical expert at Selkirk to ask the difference. His answer was that functionally they are the same. I can't say I buy that answer completely since the two lines have different construction. There are bound to be differences. I ordered the DCC from Woodstovepro. I was not impressed with the quality and consistency of the forming. Quite variable. Also, the telescoping 5' section is not a nice slip fit, there is quite a difference in diameter between the two sliding sections. Even the included finishing band wasn't thick enough to take up the difference. And the stove collar adapter required trimming to make a snug fit. Selkirk claims the loose fit is "as designed" and not a problem. The included screws were not properly secured inside the box and ended up between the ends of the pipes and the box which bent the pipe ends.

If I did it again I would try my luck with a different brand. The consistency was so bad I wondered whether that's what can be expected or whether rejected parts had made it back into supply channels.

Okay, measured my existing chimney and it looks like it is 9.5"x9.5". Originally I was going to bust through the chimney and then run my pipe up the exterior of the chimney... but with 9.5" I believe I could fit the DuraTech pipe up there... or possibly a rigid flex pipe? Does 9.5" give me enough room to go up the old chimney?

What are your thoughts on the flex liners?

You don't want to run Class A up a chimney, you want to run either flex liner, or rigid liner.
I ran Duraliner double wall insulated rigid, and it worked out very well for me. But I ran down a 13 x 13 existing flue.

At 9.5, you may be okay if there is no serious offsets or globs of mortar between the old flue tile joints.
Insulated flex should go down okay also.

I have only had limited experience with Selkirk and none with their Ultra-Temp pipe. What I didn't like in the Selkirk that I dealt with was a folded seam that allowed water to wick in past the storm collar no matter how well one sealed it. The final solution was to run a bead of silicone up the seam for the full pipe length that passed through the storm collar. If that problem has been eliminated it should be ok. Folks that have an exterior chimney run may not experience this.
The TLC line of pipe has laser welded seams. Super-vent and the like from box stores still have folded seams.

Can the flex liners and rigid hard liners withstand extreme temps like the class A pipe? I'm not even sure if a liner would work in my situation, I need to get some pictures up...

Can the flex liners and rigid hard liners withstand extreme temps like the class A pipe? I'm not even sure if a liner would work in my situation, I need to get some pictures up...

Yes, but they require additional distances to combustibles. If you're installing it in a fire-rated chimney anyway, that shouldn't matter.

Thanks, Woody... I want to move forward with this project, but I don't want to screw the pooch at the same time, you know? In my situation the chimney ceased being a chimney some time ago (before I lived in the house) and the previous owner roofed over the chimney... so I was hoping I could maybe run a liner up the chimney, then put approx. 4 feet of stainless on top of the roof with flashing and support brackets, of course... hoping to get this going before it gets too cold...

Thanks, Woody... I want to move forward with this project, but I don't want to screw the pooch at the same time, you know? In my situation the chimney ceased being a chimney some time ago (before I lived in the house) and the previous owner roofed over the chimney... so I was hoping I could maybe run a liner up the chimney, then put approx. 4 feet of stainless on top of the roof with flashing and support brackets, of course... hoping to get this going before it gets too cold...
Ues that is what you would need to do run an insulated liner up to the top of the chimney then switch to class a chimney pipe with the proper transition anchor plate

Bholler, I was looking at Rockford Chimney Supply today and really liked the website and literature they had attached to each of their products... how do they compare to DuraTech Liner, Champion Liner, etc?

I was thinking of going Rigid, if my chimney will allow it... also, because the chimney terminates at the roofline, does that changes clearances? I'm going to try to remember to get pictures of everything up tonight...