Comparing the different Selkirk chimney types and Duratech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
I called Selkirk customer service to clarify what the inner layer of their Suretemp chimney was made of. Their website describes Ultratemp comprehensively (430ss outer and 304ss inner) but only states that Suretemp has a stainless steel outer layer.

They confirmed Suretemp is 430ss outer and inner. As I understand 430 has no nickle while 304 has up to 10% which is what contributes to its higher resistance to corrosion.

The difference in price between the two is pretty big.
I also priced Duratech's all-fuel stainless insulated chimney and disovered that theirs is made with all 430ss as well, but costs over 50% more than Selkirk's Suretemp (also all 430ss). Durratech does claim their inner layer is 25% thicker than their competitor's (Selkirk). I wonder if the thicker ss is their solution to not using 304ss. It would take longer to corrode through.
I stumbled on this bit of research when I priced Selkirk at my local dealer for a new install and discovered the different models.

I wonder if anybody here has been faced with the choice between Selkirk Suretemp and Ultratemp along with Duratech and why they chose the way they did.
Thanks

I called Selkirk customer service to clarify what the inner layer of their Suretemp chimney was made of. Their website describes Ultratemp comprehensively (430ss outer and 304ss inner) but only states that Suretemp has a stainless steel outer layer.

They confirmed Suretemp is 430ss outer and inner. As I understand 430 has no nickle while 304 has up to 10% which is what contributes to its higher resistance to corrosion.

The difference in price between the two is pretty big.
I also priced Duratech's all-fuel stainless insulated chimney and disovered that theirs is made with all 430ss as well, but costs over 50% more than Selkirk's Suretemp (also all 430ss). Durratech does claim their inner layer is 25% thicker than their competitor's (Selkirk). I wonder if the thicker ss is their solution to not using 304ss. It would take longer to corrode through.
I stumbled on this bit of research when I priced Selkirk at my local dealer for a new install and discovered the different models.

I wonder if anybody here has been faced with the choice between Selkirk Suretemp and Ultratemp along with Duratech and why they chose the way they did.
Thanks
I would not feel confident using a chimney with a 430 inner wall after seeing the corrosion on the outer 430 wall of many chimneys. Also get a chimney with a welded seam not a crimped one.

I would not feel confident using a chimney with a 430 inner wall after seeing the corrosion on the outer 430 wall of many chimneys. Also get a chimney with a welded seam not a crimped one.
All of Duravent's all-fuel chimneys use 430 inner except for their Premium. This model uses 441 which has properties similar to 304. Premium is insulated with 2" of material and none of my local dealers keep it in stock.
I installed my current Suretemp chimney over 15 years ago and at the time just went to my local dealer and bought what they supplied unaware that there were different models with varying grades of ss. It looks as new from the outside as the day I put it up - shiny and clean, free of corrosion. The inside is harder to scrutinize and the layer I'd be more concerned with given the exhaust gases and creosote.

All of Duravent's all-fuel chimneys use 430 inner except for their Premium. This model uses 441 which has properties similar to 304. Premium is insulated with 2" of material and none of my local dealers keep it in stock.
I installed my current Suretemp chimney over 15 years ago and at the time just went to my local dealer and bought what they supplied unaware that there were different models with varying grades of ss. It looks as new from the outside as the day I put it up - shiny and clean, free of corrosion. The inside is harder to scrutinize and the layer I'd be more concerned with given the exhaust gases and creosote.
Yes and many people use stuff with 400 series inner walls for years with no problems. It is just that when I am doing it for a customer or myself I am much more confident using 304 or 316. I also don't really like Selkirk or duravent chimneys. We use ventis and now switching over to Jeremiah's.

We don't see a lot of posts, like none, about corrosion problems with class A chimneys. Is this a real problem with wood burners?

Last edited:
We don't see a lot of posts, like none, about corrosion problems with class A chimneys. Is this a real problem with wood burners?
We replace 2 or 3 a year on wood burners due to corrosion. Most about 20 to 25 years old. So I wouldn't say a big problem but it does happen

We replace 2 or 3 a year on wood burners due to corrosion. Most about 20 to 25 years old. So I wouldn't say a big problem but it does happen

Do you find that the corrision correlates with 430 liners and not with 304?