Compressed Hardowood logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
G'day all...

Just cranked up the stove again today after 7 days of warm, comfortable weather. We're back to winter now, and the old Resolute is coming up to temperature now.

For the past oh, 8 years, I have been using Envi Logs after burning wood for 25 years. I ultimately got rid of my wood splitter, my chainsaw stand mute, and my old VC Resolute just hums along. Love the low ash too; cleaning out once every two weeks? Rarely. The burn to a fine dusty ash.

But then... my supplier for Envi Logs locally dried up. I bought the last load they were selling last year.

No drama though. Tractor Supply has "Red Stone" logs. 6 packs and 3 packs (but only if you order or live in an area where they are shipped).

I have better than a cord in now, all neatly stacked in the garage... with all my old BMW motorcycles and the bride's Triumph and Ducati. The Red Stone packs weigh 20lbs each, I get 6-7 hour burns out of 4 at 600F, and two packs will last through a long weekend.

You can also get great deals if you watch the Tractor Supply flyers or web sites locally. Coupons! I got my last load of a 6 pack for under $2.64. Mind you, at that price, I bought half a cord!

Time to haul two packs upstairs. Gotta keep those two Stirling Fans whirling!

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
I took all the 6 packs Rural King had left when they told me they were $2.14 each. Not sure how they came up with that, but I didn't question it.

Now that the compressed hardwood logs have showed up in the "big box" stores, expect to find smoking good deals. One caveat! Make sure if you are getting a great price, that they have been stored inside or tightly in shipping plastic.

Wet is bad.

My TSC ran out a week ago, I bought 20 packs.

I just got a ton today liberty bricks. Hopefully it lasts till end of season. Mixed in some half seasoned oak. Thread is useless without pics
20190208_220752.jpg
20190210_210458.jpg

Where did you get them? TSC up this way ran out about 3 weeks. They don't restock mid way through the Winter so that's it till next season.

Where did you get them? TSC up this way ran out about 3 weeks. They don't restock mid way through the Winter so that's it till next season.
Doswell va next to kings dominion.Not sure what area you are in but tractor supply in white plains got them

I have no idea lol. They burn good and hotttttt

Best laugh of the day... they do look like garden pavers!

I've been using Envi Logs, now Red Stone from TSC. No difference. Same 6-8 hour burn times on 3 logs at 500F. I'd prefer to get the big 3 to a pack. I put all in the Resolute, toss in a Super Cedar (Big huge shout out!), a little air boom, combustion. From light until door close and lock is 23 minutes. By 34 minutes, 300-400F and the first Stirling Engine comes on line....the other is a little more "loose" made by out of work aerospace engineers in Alabama doesn't come in until 500F, but when both are spinning, the dogs are all down and I wake to hot enough coals in the morning to repeat for days on end... with little ash. I'm all in, as long as the price is right. My chainsaw is still well oiled and I have access to a very nice splitter...