compressed wood bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iv been useinh the ts Eco bricks in my 13nc and it loves them I put a enviro log in today and WOW way better got hotter faster and with one log it got me a stove top of 625 for 3hrs and it burnt for another hr after that kept the flue at a constant 350-400. I like them way better

And fruit don't forget the fruit haha. But they really did do a great job. And the guy at the stove shop said just don't burn them in a cat stove

That does make sense. What about round logs like the North Idaho Energy Logs? How may of those could be used by themselves do you think? I know you have some experience with them.

The max I have burned in the Castine was 3.5 NIELs. The stove got hot, but was under control at all times. I would try 3 first and see what you think. For the sake of science I may go ahead and try 4 in the T6 but am not recommending this to anyone.

What exactly are the Neil's? I haven't seen them

My TSC just rolled out the second pallet this year of the Eco bricks I'm well stocked up on them. Can I have the Neil's shipped I'd like to really try them.

Thomas (of Super Cedars) sells them. You could contact him on his site to see if he would. Shipping is going to cost ya. They are super dense and heavy.

Last night, around 9-9:30 I scraped away an area in the back of the stove large enough to place 2 large bricks next to each other and then pushed ashes and coals around the sides to control air. The front was left open to the doghouse stream and all other air. I placed a row of 2-3" splits across the top and lit it. Overall, it was a small load.

Around 7am I turned the fans off as the stove had cooled a good deal. I figured I'd get a look at everything when it brunt out. I just went downstairs to look at it and dig through the coals and ashes. The stove was still warm. There were large blocks of black sawdust still smoldering in the back. I suppose I didn't get enough air on them. Which makes me thing I should leave space between them. I'd like to do a load of 3 bricks to see how it will go. Maybe standing them up in the back of the stove if they will fit will work better.

So, to recap, the single brick tossed on top of a load of splits worked well. The 2 bricks placed flat and together on the bottom of the stove did so-so. Still warm/hot/burning, but not complete combustion.

I will be home working in the basement today so I pulled all of the ashes forward and stood 3 bricks up in the back. I pushed ashes and coals up against them to hold them up. In front of those I placed a row of 2-3" thick rounds and then larger splits perpendicular to them. I'll be down there working on the rim joist so I should be able to monitor it well.

Matt

There were large blocks of black sawdust still smoldering in the back.

If we're talking about the big ones, this is the result I get. If I break them in half, its better, but still they don't generate that much heat. 8k + BTU's are fine, but if they get released a little at a time it doesn't help warm a house.

once i use up the remaining bricks I cut in half, I'm done with this brand.

Ok, here's an interesting development. Most of the splits have turned to a large pile of coals now. In the back, the 3 bricks are still standing and have flames that look like secondaries rolling up them slowly.

Ok, here's an interesting development. Most of the splits have turned to a large pile of coals now. In the back, the 3 bricks are still standing and have flames that look like secondaries rolling up them slowly.

what's your stove temp?

Good question. I don't have a thermometer on it anymore. I pulled it off to use somewhere else and I don't know where it is. I should probably get another one, but haven't walked down that aisle at the hardware store.

Good question. I don't have a thermometer on it anymore. I pulled it off to use somewhere else and I don't know where it is. I should probably get another one, but haven't walked down that aisle at the hardware store.

that's the key. i get small flames coming up after 1.5-2 hours in but not alot of heat.

The stove is still hot, but I'm not sure if it's hotter than it normally is at this point in the burn cycle. It also has a bunch of coals left from the regular splits I threw in with the bricks. I only put them in around 10:30 so there would normally be another 6 hours of heat coming out of the stove.

Well, I just loaded up for the night. I loaded my oak and I'm pretty sure there's some hard maple in there too. I would have loved to have put some of the blocks in, but I can't see a clear benefit and the last thing I want when we're going to be down to 3F tonight is an unpredictable fire.

I put 2 neils in at noon with red oak, I just reloaded for the night, the oak was burned down to some nice coals and the neils were about 50% their original size and glowing red. I put 2 more neils and the rest I loaded red oak. Man, it sure gets up to temp quick and throws some heat. It down to single digits so I thought I use em up on these cold nights. Not sure if ill get any more but they sure burn hot and long..

It's -4 this morning and I reloaded with cordwood. Maybe I'll throw in a couple of bricks on top of regular wood later.

I put 2 neils in at noon with red oak, I just reloaded for the night, the oak was burned down to some nice coals and the neils were about 50% their original size and glowing red. I put 2 more neils and the rest I loaded red oak. Man, it sure gets up to temp quick and throws some heat. It down to single digits so I thought I use em up on these cold nights. Not sure if ill get any more but they sure burn hot and long..

I just reloaded for the night
at what time?

any oven temps? what happens when the NIELS burn down? do they fall apart into red hot coals as the manufacturer describes?

They burn down to a smaller glowing coal with little ash.

Yes, they fall apart into smaller sections but stay glowing red, I won't put any more in today and I bet I still have chunks of them in there til tomorrow night.
MB, I reloaded at 1am, I just reloaded at noon so that burn went 11 hours with good heat the whole time. The two I put in last night are still intact and are about 1/2 the original size, glowing red hot. They do extend the burn time and burn hotter but not sure how cost effective they are compared to firewood that's cheap. If I had to pay top dollar for cord wood I'd probably make these a regular part of my burning.

I'm not familiar with North Idaho, but had the opportunity to buy and passed for the Canawicks.
Don't remember why, but did..

The Canawicks burn strong and fairly quick.
Yet they burn strong

Last year's collection has not dried well, so I'm implementing with bio

Curious how the North Idaho work for you, if you go that way

i have been using eco fuel blocks from tractor supply they work great for me, last week i tried uncle ethans fuel logs form home depot, some say they dont like them but they work good for me , and whats nice about this is home depot near me has them on sale for $1.88 a pack, time to stock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.