Concrete core bits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRemington

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2017
Belleville New York
Are there any installers here that have any experience with diamond tip core bits. If so which one would you recommend? We’ve been renting one and it takes a long time to get through a concrete wall. I’m sure it’s probably long past it’s prime and I’d rather just buy our own.

Are there any installers here that have any experience with diamond tip core bits. If so which one would you recommend? We’ve been renting one and it takes a long time to get through a concrete wall. I’m sure it’s probably long past it’s prime and I’d rather just buy our own.
It sounds like your core bit is glazed over which means the diamonds are not exposed to grind the material. Run your fingers over the cutting surface. If it is smooth then its glazed over and all you do is run the bit on a concrete block dry to expose the diamonds. The next question are you drilling with or without water ? Diamond core bits need water to cool and remove the material. They do make dry core bits, they take longer to drill through the material and you need to let them cool down as your drilling. If you need to drill through hard fire brick then you need a core bit for that material. You have to use water with that type of bit. Who ever you are renting from they should know which core bit to give you for the job.

Reactions: vinny11950
If you don't care about the beauty of the hole, you can draw a template of the hole size you want on the concrete and then use a concrete drill bit to drill holes all around the marking. Then chip it out.