Concrete patio rebar design question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Rebuilding the patio off the house. Found concrete block during demo which extends 4' deep. Should I rebar every few feet and tie into the wire mesh or should they not be tied together? Pouring 4" slab and will form up the front and sides.

Attachments

• patio rebar design.jpg
    patio rebar design.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 336
It seems to me you have two options: tie in the new slab with the existing structure as best you can or isolate the two entirely.
I'd suggest filling in all sub-slab voids, including the block, with (plate) compacted sand, leveling it off and building a "floating" slab on top the old.
I think that tying into the blocks whether with new concrete only, or with rebar may create stresses in the new slab that may result in cracks later.

Edit: I'd also suggest having an air entraining agent added to the concrete if the slab is exposed to weather or salt.

My thoughts exactly. Not sure if I should isolate the slab from the curb or tie together.

If the area you are working on heaves at all in the winter you will have cracks. I like thicker slabs, like 6". I like 6 inches of gravel under them and bigger rebar if it gets used. You can put relief cuts in the slab every 6 feet or so to control cracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.