connecting a grampa bear wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbesaw

Oct 21, 2011
adirondacks
HELP!! i am having a difficult time connecting the stove pipe from my stove to the smoke adapter in the triple wall chimney. PLEASE HELP ASAP!! thanks

This if often dependent on the exact brand of pipe!

I will assume that you have a pipe going straight up into a ceiling support and Dura-vent pipe, one of the earlier popular triple wall brands!

There are a couple things you need to be aware of.....

1. The black stove pipe should fit around (over!) the inside pipe of the triple wall up in the ceiling support! This assumes the lack of a specialized pipe adapter..which if you had one, it would already be hanging down and you'd simply slip your black pipe around it.

2. The female (larger non-crimped) end of the black pipe should go up.

3. This joint, once trial fit, should have some furnace cement put in it and then be screwed together. On some pipe you cannot reach up in there to screw it, so you screw your black pipe to the flange where it goes through the ceiling support (it often has hole pre-punched there).

That's about all the advice I can give without pictures or better explanations of exactly what you are looking at!

rbesaw said:
thanks, but the problem is connecting to the stove the 8" pipe will not fit

Google stove pipe crimp tool.
This is the tool mentioned in above threads that makes the stove pipe smaller. Anytime you cut a piece of pipe shorter, you need them to crimp the end of the pipe to fit it into another piece. Simply crimp the end down until it fits into the stove.

Attachments

• Pipe Crimper.jpg
    Pipe Crimper.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,375
  • Pipe Crimper 2.jpg
    Pipe Crimper 2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 454
I do it just like that pic - but, after I am done crimping it good, I grab it with the tool and bend it back so it is somewhat parellel to the rest of the pipe. This lets it fit better into the collar...as opposed to the steep angle.

Add furnace cement and a couple screws and you have it (drill screw holes if none exist)

Status
Not open for further replies.