Connecting Kodiak Stove Insert to liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yani and Pique

Oct 13, 2018
Southern Maryland
Hello :)

I am so happy to find this forum. My husband and I purchased our home 3 years ago. A small 1970's rambler in Southern Maryland that came equipped with a vintage Kodiak wood stove insert (1970s ?). We really know nothing on the subject. I just read through this whole thread and have a better grasp of what I need as far as maintenance.

We had our chimney cleaned and inspected and the person said they couldn't tell us anything about it because of EPA regulations. They did say our flue showed some wear and cracks.

What type of chimney lining would I need to install to safely use this stove? Our 4th winter is ahead of us and we would like to reduce our use of oil.

Again thank you to the knowledgeable folks that take the time to enlighten the rest of us. I truly appreciate it!

*we also replaced the gasket (rope, around the doors) and new fire bricks.

wood stove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you go any further. Have you checked with your homeowners insurance company to make sure they will cover you if you properly line the chimney and run this particular unit?

Hello :)

I am so happy to find this forum. My husband and I purchased our home 3 years ago. A small 1970's rambler in Southern Maryland that came equipped with a vintage Kodiak wood stove insert (1970s ?). We really know nothing on the subject. I just read through this whole thread and have a better grasp of what I need as far as maintenance.

We had our chimney cleaned and inspected and the person said they couldn't tell us anything about it because of EPA regulations. They did say our flue showed some wear and cracks.

What type of chimney lining would I need to install to safely use this stove? Our 4th winter is ahead of us and we would like to reduce our use of oil.

Again thank you to the knowledgeable folks that take the time to enlighten the rest of us. I truly appreciate it!

*we also replaced the gasket (rope, around the doors) and new fire bricks.

View attachment 230794
Pen is absolutly correct check with insurance first. If they say ok you will need an 8" insulated liner for that stove. Or an equivalent oval or rectangle liner.