Connecting to 7" Metalbestos Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nigel459

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi again all, I'm connecting a new stove to an older 7" Metalbestos chimney, which is about 25 yrs old but seldom used in a recreational property, swept regularly and in very good shape. It's about 16' from the ceiling support to the cap. I'm going to replace the ~60" needed of connector pipe.

I have a BK Sirocco 20 all set in place to take over for the old smoke dragon.

1. I believe the Selkirk DSP is the right choice to use with the Metalbestos, right? If not, what should I use?

I'm a little confused on the best way to go about increasing and connecting to the 7" chimney. Was thinking top to bottom it would go: chimney, increaser (6 to 7"), then balance of DSP needed. (Also FYI I'm thinking of going with a 9.5" offset (two 45s plus a 6" per manual) to set the stove back a bit since clearances will allow it.) In order to calculate the remaining lengths needed,

2. Do I need the "universal chimney adapter"? Or can I just use a finishing band on the top of the increaser?

I'm hoping I don't need the universal chimney adapter it since I want the offset up higher and already have the increaser up there. The chimney has a male end poking down and out of the support, as can be seen below in the pics of the old stuff in and then removed. But let me know if I'm on the right track, thanks a lot! :)

IMG_3116.JPG fullsizeoutput_20a6.jpeg

I would install the Chimney Pipe adapter off the Ceiling Support. Keep in mind that the Selkirk 6" to 7" Increaser, will add about 8" to your system after it is installed.

I would install the Chimney Pipe adapter off the Ceiling Support. Keep in mind that the Selkirk 6" to 7" Increaser, will add about 8" to your system after it is installed.
Thanks for the reply, yeah that darned increaser is I was hoping to avoid the universal adapter off the support--would rather have the offset as high up as possible and def can't avoid the 8" from the increaser.

Why do you suggest the adapter? Is it the kind of thing where I could just use a finishing band but it's trickier? or do I need the universal adapter? The DSP catalog says the adapter is needed for "some chimneys"... kinda vague

selkirk-png.png

In the absence of a straight answer, I did some more digging. Here's what I found in case it, or any further discussion, helps anyone.

The figure above was posted by @begreen in this post and suggests it's either/or in terms of the finishing band or Universal Chimney Adapter.

Also, this thread suggests that you go with what works, i.e. whatever produces a snug fit. And in his instance, the Universal Chimney Adapter was a sloppy fit whereas the regular pipe fit in well.

Unless there is some reason not to do so that I can't find, I'm hoping the increaser plus finishing band will do the trick for me to connect to the chimney. Since it's in a remote location, my plan is to bring up pieces for all options, see what works, return what I don't use.

Last edited by a moderator: