Consensus on using insulation with SS Flex Liner - External Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
I'm going to be ordering SS Flex in the next couple of days, but I'm struggling with whether or not to order an insulation "sleeve" for the flex liner I order. I get conflicting ideas when reading past posts on this site and am just wondering what the consensus is? My chimney is a 25' external chimney, 8x8 terracotta flue. My sweep said I've got some cracked tiles thus the reason I'm installing the liner. I didn't have a real draft issue with the current chimney setup and am wondering if I really need to spend the extra money for the insulation?

Cracked tiles = Insulate the liner.

I have a similar setup and tried to go uninsulated last year and got smoke coming out of the insert when we opened the door due to bad draft, I just did put in my order for my insulation kit that should take care of that issue. When I was using my chimney without the liner I had no draft problems, so you might want to just go ahead and bite the bullet and order the insulation kit as well to be 100% sure it will work right.

My external chimney is also 25 ft to the top from the first floor stove and i didnt insulate my SS liner.Chimney is less than 10 yrs old and current with the fireplace codes so insulation was not needed.

Same set up as yours and I could not insulate mine in the lower sections due to turns I had to make (so it has no insulation) and mine drafts so well I installed an inline dampener. My chimney is an all block exterior set.

I also had cracks in tiles as I was having a creosote problem that led to a chimney fire. I had to clean the clay liner three times during the winter months and could almost fill a five gallon bucket up every time and last year I brushed the liner at the end of the season and only filled a a 1 gallon paint bucket up 3/4 of the way with very fine powdery black dust and it was the longest heating season I have ever had with the stove.

Well worth the money to insulate that liner,that stove will run so much
better with it and so much cleaner.Now that i insulated the liner i get
maybe a cup of creosote at end of the burning season.

Status
Not open for further replies.