Considering Used QuadraFire Isle Royale - Does this look damaged?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

roehrin

Oct 18, 2021
PA
Hi. I've heard good things about the Isle Royale and it will fit nice in my wood stove room. I saw this stove for sale used (but didn't see in person) but a few pictures made me wonder if it's damaged beyond what it's worth. They are asking $700 but it looks like fire bricks might need replacing. The back label looks almost melted off. Is that a red flag too?

Thanks

238917494_4595876437109773_8502661412472943764_n.jpg238787442_3985832841521273_6858843516249621838_n.jpg

Firebrick can be replaced, it's a wearing item. The back may have gotten hot if they ran the stove with missing bricks. This is a highly radiant stove and a very willing heater. It needs proper clearances to be safe. Moderator Jags has one, so I will let him go over things to check out.

Firebrick can be replaced, it's a wearing item. The back may have gotten hot if they ran the stove with missing bricks. This is a highly radiant stove and a very willing heater. It needs proper clearances to be safe. Moderator Jags has one, so I will let him go over things to check out.
Thanks. It looks one of the back bricks is fallen, so that might explain the heat to the label. Is that likely to damage anything or just more cosmetic?

Thanks. It looks one of the back bricks is fallen, so that might explain the heat to the label. Is that likely to damage anything or just more cosmetic?
That will require an on site inspection of the stove for cracks and other wear and tear. It has a swing-away tube assembly for top-loading that will need to be checked out as well as the startup air feed and general inspection for cracks, etc. It is a robust, beautiful, and well-made stove, but more complicated than many others.

Being a cast iron stove, body warp is probably a non issue. Check the secondary burn tubes for signs of over temp (burned out, warped,etc). Next would be to check if the pivot for the burn tubes is functional if you want the top load feature. I dont care to rehash the debates over the style of firebricks used ,but be aware the the IR used the pumice style originally. They have a more reflective property than the other styles. Not sure what is currently in the stove, but you might want to check. Also be aware that on cast stoves the body panels are sealed together with gasket cement. Take a good flashlight with you and shine the joints from inside while looking for light escaping outside of the top. Check door gaskets for wear.