Convection blower cooling the exhaust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedarjunki

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2015
Upstate NY
Sitting around bored and looking for reasons to play with the stove :-/

Anyways, the convection blower actually sits directly below the exhaust path on this enviro evolution. Its a double sided blower and the one side is under the combustion blower housing about 2 inches.

Is it actually meant to cool the exhaust or just poor design?
Convection blower cooling the exhaust?

The blower on the rt side top is your combustion motor 2 fans one inside to blow exhaust
the other outside to cool blower motor after all some of this unit is in the hot exhaust
path . The other is a 2 cage convection blower(motor between each cage) to force air
through the heat exchanger and into the room
The convection blower looks to be improperly mounted If memory services me right
it should be farther to the left in the picture and sit straight across the bottom

Last edited:
The blower on the rt side top is your combustion motor 2 fans one inside to blow exhaust
the other outside to cool blower motor after all some of this unit is in the hot exhaust
path . The other is a 2 cage convection blower(motor between each cage) to force air
through the heat exchanger and into the room
The convection blower looks to be improperly mounted If memory services me right
it should be farther to the left in the picture and sit straight across the bottom

I am talking about the convection blower. And the oriention that it sits beneath the exhaust pathway. The outer 2 inches of it literally blows directly on the bottom of the combustion blower housing. (Hence why i ask if its a poor design or if there is a reason behind it) the blower is positioned on the mounts correctly and cannot be moved to the left much at all.. maybe 1/2 inch if i move the mounts.

Reactions: Bill L
Other photos i found online show the blower mounted above the combustion housing on the enviro mini i think...bit they use a different style blower again... and its not possible due to the bigger hopper on this one.

I may be wrong but any one I have worked on the convection fan sits level and a little farther
to the left . looking at it from the back

Took some more pics. The blower and blower mount match the replacement parts for this stove.
You will notice the blower mount is made so that the blower sits at an angle. The mount also has 2 notches in it where it simply hangs on the 2 screws with rubber bushings attached on the stove. No other holes visible. So i cant say its been moved. The mount literally hangs on those 2 rubbers and sits directly on the base of the stove. Not directly attatched like every other i have seen. (They claim its so it runs quieter)

But you can clearly see it cannot be moves over at all without sticking beyond the side panel and the right side literaly sits beneath the combustion blower housing. I cant see any reason for wanting to cool the exhaust so i am guessing that is the shortest blower available so they made use of it? Specs show its 180cfm but with that side mostly covered the air on the output end is considerally reduced. I am considering making a deflection box in place of the existing blower and mounting a normal squirrel cage blower on the back of the stove. (On the outside) i am fairly certain i could extract alot more heat with a better blower or atleast a blower that focuses the air thru the exchange instead of being diverted... it gets helll hot as it is since the covection blower speed is regulated by the heat range setting only...
but could be ran at a lower temp with more heat extracted? May not be as pretty with a blower mounted outside the stove but be more functional?Convection blower cooling the exhaust? Convection blower cooling the exhaust?Convection blower cooling the exhaust? Convection blower cooling the exhaust? Convection blower cooling the exhaust?

More pics Convection blower cooling the exhaust?Convection blower cooling the exhaust? Convection blower cooling the exhaust? Convection blower cooling the exhaust?

I agree that it is a poor deign and if you have the expertise to
fabricate a new style blower attachment and blower
more power to you
That stove can produce a lot of heat

I agree that it is a poor deign and if you have the expertise to
fabricate a new style blower attachment and blower
more power to you
That stove can produce a lot of heat

I only really started looking into it when i noticed the little amount of air coming out on the left vs the right. (Facing the stove)
I ran it on high for an hour after i installed it and couldnt believe how hot it was up close.. but the more i think about if the exhange tubes had the full 180cfm instead of only a portion of that just how much better it might heat.
I have no problem welding up a duct and mount for regular blower. Just may have to wait till spring. Not to mention the new blower would only be a third of the cost of a original replacement and a third of the amperage.. cant believe they used a 3 amp motor for this one.

With only about 8 inches of cage fan total... 2 inches under the exhaust and the other end is under the oak tube. Safe to say only about half the air fom the blower is being utilized.

It looks to me like most of the air from the room blower is not getting the the heat exchanger. Could parts be missing? Seems like air is just being blown around behind the stove instead of going somewhere useful. Most curious.

It looks to me like most of the air from the room blower is not getting the the heat exchanger. Could parts be missing? Seems like air is just being blown around behind the stove instead of going somewhere useful. Most curious.

All parts are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.