Convert Gas Insert Back to Open Wood Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alexander L

Oct 31, 2014
SoCal Desert
Hi all. I will be looking at a house tomorrow that has a gas insert converted fireplace. Well, I think that is the case. It looks as if it was originally an open hearth wood burning fireplace. House was built in 1967. I assume it was originally an open hearth wood burning fireplace because of the house age, the air vents in the brick face, and the large chimney structure on the backside in the garage. The cap at the top of the chimney looks like a gas appliance chimney cap... which makes sense. So I am gathering that the flu must be lined for the gas appliance. Bare with me... I am new to gas burning stoves.

I am wondering if the gas insert conversion can be reversed? You know, convert back to an open wood burning fireplace? I realize that it would be necessary to have a professional chimney person inspect and report on the condition of the flu and to detail any necessary work to complete such a conversion. I am simply curious if this can be done.... assuming this was originally an open wood burning fireplace. This forum really helped me a great deal when I removed a wood burning insert and installed a Jotul wood stove and chimney in another house a few years back. My stove/fireplace knowledge is limited to what I learned during that project. Thank you for any info/insight!

*On a side note... looks like this gas insert plugs in to an electrical outlet. Is this for an electrical ignition device in the insert?
Here are a few pics of the fireplace in question and chimney:

gas1.png gas2.png gas3.png gas4.png

Hi all. I will be looking at a house tomorrow that has a gas insert converted fireplace. Well, I think that is the case. It looks as if it was originally an open hearth wood burning fireplace. House was built in 1967. I assume it was originally an open hearth wood burning fireplace because of the house age, the air vents in the brick face, and the large chimney structure on the backside in the garage. The cap at the top of the chimney looks like a gas appliance chimney cap... which makes sense. So I am gathering that the flu must be lined for the gas appliance. Bare with me... I am new to gas burning stoves.

I am wondering if the gas insert conversion can be reversed? You know, convert back to an open wood burning fireplace? I realize that it would be necessary to have a professional chimney person inspect and report on the condition of the flu and to detail any necessary work to complete such a conversion. I am simply curious if this can be done.... assuming this was originally an open wood burning fireplace. This forum really helped me a great deal when I removed a wood burning insert and installed a Jotul wood stove and chimney in another house a few years back. My stove/fireplace knowledge is limited to what I learned during that project. Thank you for any info/insight!

*On a side note... looks like this gas insert plugs in to an electrical outlet. Is this for an electrical ignition device in the insert?
Here are a few pics of the fireplace in question and chimney:

View attachment 296184 View attachment 296185 View attachment 296186 View attachment 296187
If all they did was install the gas line and (probably) remove the damper, then you should be able to easily convert it back to original.

Reactions: Alexander L
The power cord is for the insert convection blower to better move heat into the room.