Converting rear vented Mama Bear to top vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandt

Sep 21, 2015
AR
Coaly

I have a MammaBear with rear venting

If I wanted to convert this to a top vent, do you have measures where the top vent should be centered?

Thanks for your expertese

The drawings I have only give detailed measurements when installed on the back.
I've seen them centered on the upper cook top, or towards the front or rear on upper cook top. Depends on your installation. You need 18 inch minimum pipe clearance for single wall to the back, so when you have a heat shield for wall protection, stove clearance can be reduced down to 12 inches. You may need it far enough forward to gain that 18 inches for pipe to rear wall. If using double wall connector pipe it would not matter since reduced clearance with that pipe is 6 inches to combustible.
Here's some pictures of side vents you can tell vary by a lot;

Papa Bear side vent.jpg Papa Bear Side Vent 11-30-12 side.jpg

Pipe thickness on the older stoves was thinner 12 ga. and 6 inch OD. They were a very tight fit and required over crimping for 6 inch stove pipe. Later stoves use 6 inch ID with up to 1/4 inch thick wall. It's important to extend the pipe down inside the stove 3 inches. Length of vent pipe was 5 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.