Converting single sided fireplace to double

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amylville

Nov 28, 2008
il
Hi, I was sent here from gardenweb, as you all are the experts. My question: I live in a 1920s bungalow with a large woodburning fireplace in the living/family room. I am interested in converting it to a double sided fireplace opening it up to the dining room. Currently we use the fireplace about 15-20 times a season. Is this feasable? What would be the problems? Would it be expensive? Thanks in advance for your help.

You need to have a good mason take a look at the existing structure, flue, and fireplace if you want any kind of useful assessment. It could easily be opening multiple cans of worms in that many grandfathered parts of the current install might under current code have to be corrected as part of such a change. Only a local mason and code enforcement official could give you the info you need.

amylville said:
Hi, I was sent here from gardenweb, as you all are the experts. .

There's a few experts here. The rest of us are something else.
I must concur, this is a job for a GOOD mason to look at.

To answer just one of your questions, I think to do it right, yes, it would be very expensive.
Are you looking to get any heat out of the deal, or just ambiance? If you poke around this site, you may be converted to the idea of a stove or an insert to either replace or supplement your fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.